Skip to content
Palpitations for a week/ low heart rate
Squishym posted:
Hello, I have been getting heart palpitations for 1 week now and seemed to be getting more frequent. Went to emerg yesterday and blood work came back negative, EKG was ok, but heart monitor would fluctuate from 52-60 and the drop to 38-41 every 5 mins or so.. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

PetuniaPea responded:
I'm not sure about the low heart rate (a.k.a. bradycardia), but I do know a lot about fast heart rate (a.k.a. tachycardia...a.k.a. "palpitations!") from personal experience.

Here's the causes and what you can to to help your heart with any condition that you may have:

Possible causes:

Caffiene

Dehydration

Not enough electrolytes (i.e., minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, chloride, etc.)

CURES:

Stay away from caffiene. People who get palpitations are VERY SENSITIVE to caffiene. I can tolerate one cup of white tea, or one cup of very, very weak black tea per day.

Stay hydrated! Drink 8-13 cups of non-caffinated liquids per day.

Incorporate foods high in electrolytes...the following foods are high in potassium, magnesium, and calcium: avocados, tomatoes, kale, beans and soybeans, lentils, almonds, cashews, walnuts, bananas, melons, dates, spinach, other leafy greens, other fruits and vegetables.

Another thing that is great for your heart is to eat a plant-based, whole foods diet...and cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners from your diet. ONLY after doing this have I not had one single racing heartbeat episode! Knock on wood!

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Squishym replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Thanks petuniapea, I do eat fairly healthy. I have been taking Greens plus every morning for over 4 months now and just 2 weeks ago I bought a different greens plus that had multi vitamin in it. Then 1 week later I started having these. I don't know if its a contributor to be honest. Why would multi vitamins cause palpitations ? My heart rate is low and no stimulants like coffee do anything for me. It's been 12 days now and I am starting to feel better. My chest still feels like I have been punched in the solar plexus and I am not as weak and exhausted. So hopefully Monday I will be back running again. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

PetuniaPea replied to Squishym's response:
Yes, Greens Plus is a very good powder supplement, I don't know if any ingredient would cause your issues...I don't think that's it...the only way multivitamins could cause palpitations is if they have guarana extract, caffiene, or possibly ginseng or other herb someone may be sensitive to...

Not sure if you already searched the internet, but here's the Mayo Clinic's page on bradycardia (I copy and pasted the "causes" page, but you can look at all their other pages, like "prevention"):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bradycardia/DS00947/DSECTION=causes

And...you're very welcome! Not a problem! Good luck!

Squishym replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Thank you, I will have alook. Just got my 24 hr mo itor today and. Appt is set for a few weeks with my doctor. Hope good news.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.