Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help
An_253246 posted:
I am 4ft 11inches tall I recently had a baby I was 114lbs before the baby and after the baby I was 177lbs. I am down to 142lbs I have cut my calories to 1100 calories a day also I do cardio 30 mintues a day 7 days a week why have I stopped loseing weight?

PetuniaPea responded:
I'll answer your post in a Q&A style...see which Q&A fits your situation!

How long have you reduced calories to 1100? If it's been many months to a year, you may have slowed down your metabolism to a screeching halt. Consume enough calories to maintain your current weight, do that for a couple months or so, then reduce calories again to lose weight. Repeat whenever necessary.

Are you really consuming 1100 calories daily? Maybe you're consuming too many calories by licking that peanut butter spoon and not counting it in your log! Or you're eating out and underestimating the calories. If this is the case, then get more strict with yourself...count those "little tastes" and extra bites!

Are you lifting weights or doing resistance training? I'm sure you've heard, "muscles burn more calories at rest than fat." Build muscles and you can burn more calories at rest...in other words, build your metabolism. Do push ups, squats, use a resistance band, get 3-5 pound weights and a weight training DVD...no gym membership needed, unless you like the gym.

Are you drinking water? Water is a metabolism booster. If you're barely drinking any fluids, your body will retain water weight, plus your body isn't functioning at its peak, including your metabolism.

Are you stressed, not sleeping, drinking too much coffee or eating a lot of sugar, going through early menopause, underactive thyroid perhaps? All of the above have to do with hormone regulation. If you're hormones aren't balanced, you won't lose weight, or it is very hard to. Stress and not sleeping increase the hormone cortisol. Too much coffee or sugar put a strain on your adrenal glands. An underactive thyroid can make it hard to lose weight...doing yoga, making sure you get enough iodine in your diet can help...medication is a last resort in my opinion...

Finally, I don't believe that you have to work out super hard to lose weight, because overexercising is not good for you either, but how hard are you pushing yourself with cardio? Are you walking fast? Aerobics? I would say, work out to where you can still talk comfortably, but maybe you're slightly out of breath (like a 5-6 out of 10 when it comes to intensity), and add 60 more minutes per week...so 2 days of 60 minutes, and the rest of the days, 30 minutes. Maybe incorporate interval training, where you work out easy, then really hard, in 5 minute increments or so. What I'm trying to say is to up your exercise just a little bit more. Nothing crazy or extreme.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 57 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.