Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Over 70, Male and Water Exercises
Rex70 posted:
I'm a 70 year old male with Arthritis, Obstreperous, and over weight.
I've changed my eating habits over the last 6 months and have lost some 20 lbs. from 318 to 298.
I use an Olympic sized pool 2 to 3 times a week and walk at least 1.5 miles on my volunteer time at a local hospital, do some exercises , lay on my back and back pedal with my arms and legs the length hopefully 2 times, and walk the length of the pool for at least 15 minutes or when my legs begin to hurt. Head for the Jacuzzi for 15 minutes and then get back into the pool (Brrrrrrr) and walk for another 2 to 5 minutes. I'm dragging after that.
Any suggestions on streamlining some of my workout ???

StephenVajda responded:
I'm 60 swam a kilometer X3 per week, walked an hr/day, bike or hiked 3 or 4 hrs per weekend but didn't lose weight until I started interval training. I lost 30 lbs and 8 inches off my waist. Try simple body weight exercises like push ups, pull ups, squats (whatever full body exercises you can do) which will not only burn calories, but raise your metabolism and build muscle which will burn more calories even when you're not exercising.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.