Skip to content
Cardio machines; treadmill or elliptical
cindigal posted:
It's no secret that summer is almost ending and the pools will be closing. Our apartments here have a nice pool which I was swimming about every other day. I live in the midwest and just like many other parts; this year we had pretty hot temps. Lately the pool felt like bath water; not even refreshing. When the pool closes I will go to the exercise room to start cardio again. When I used the room before I was really going good on the elliptical machine and stayed on it for 30 minutes with average intensity and pace. After going there I noticed my knees starting to hurt with the constant motion.

Now I am thinking about switching to the treadmill for the cardio. We have nice machines that you can raise the incline. My question to anyone or everyone is; how long or intensity that you should do on the treadmill..??. Im sure the answer is debateful but I want my workouts to work. Is any magic number or minutes to do the treadmill.

cindigal

mjglantz responded:
I am for at least 30 minutes of aerobics/day where I get my heart in my target zone. Now I find that I need to have the treadmill at 6.5 - 7.5% incline and walking at 3.8 - 4.0 mph to get my heart rate to my target and keep it there. My preference is to do 1 mile on the treadmill and then hop to the elliptical for a total of 30 minutes.
I also walk every day and aim for 10,000 steps/day.

mattyace25 responded:
The best thing I find is to sprint on the treadmill for 30 seconds at a speed you can tolerate, like 5.5 or 6 to start off, with at 8 degrees incline. Then rest anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds seconds depending on fitness level. Repeat this 10 times and you are done in less than 20 minutes and you will be drenched in sweat. You can increase or decrease the speed as you go along. Make sure you sip some water in between to keep hydrated.

mattyace25 responded:
I find what works best for me is to sprint on the treadmill for 30 seconds at a pace you can tolerate, like 5.5 to 6 to start at an 8 degree incline. Then rest anywhere from 30-60 seconds depending on your fitness level. You can increase or decrease the speed as you go along. Do this 10 times and you have a great workout. I like to walk for 1 minute before the sprints just to warm up a bit and then walk at say 3.5 for 2 minutes after to cool down. Whole workout 15 minutes!

grandmananny responded:
I am for only 30 minutes on my treadmill 3 to 5 times per week. I am 71 years old so not anxious to set a record. My rate is between 2.5 and 3.0, and I work up a sweat and feel this is keeping me "fit"!

WabCleek responded:
Swimming is more of a total body work out than any fitness machine. Why don't you try to vary what you use during the winter?

brunosbud replied to WabCleek's response:
People who exercise a great deal enjoy being outdoors.

That's why, in any weight loss situation, I think its so important to rekindle that fundamental desire to get outside...to be "unconfined".

The saying goes, "You have to walk before you run" has a much deeper meaning, today, than ever before. Forget the silly "details" of exercise; that can always come, later...What tampon should I wear, what's my max heart rate, which trainer is best, what's the best time...

First, just try to get your butt outside and learn to love it...

An_252832 responded:
One of the best techniques I have found is called Fartlek training. Whereby you change the speed/intensity at which you run a number of times within the session. I'm no pro, so if you're interested maybe look it up online for more info. But I tend to run for say 30 mins. Before hand, I break this time up in to 2 or 3 minute intervals and during each of these I will vary the intensity ie. run at 8mph for 3 mins then drop to 6mph for the next 3 before changing it up again. The good thing about this is that it increases your fitness quickly and makes the time go really fast, so by the time the 30 mins is up you have no idea. I would definitely recommend looking in to this especially if you're just starting up running as it's a good way to ease in to it.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 65 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.