Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I fit?
adey786 posted:
Dear All

I am 33 years old. My height is 5'7. My current weight is 64-65kg. What I had weight of about 70kg about 4 months ago, however in the past few months I have shed 5-6kg through rigorous exercise (steppers, tread mill, abdominal crunches). My BMI is 22.7.

As I am much slimmer and looks ok (belly fat is negligible). I wanted to seek views of the community if :

1)- I still need to reduce further fat?
2)- If not then is 64kg right weight for my age and height?
3)- What kind of activity level (exercise) should I maintain to stay healthy? My job involves office work, which means long sitting hours in the office

Thank you and best regards

Adnan

brunosbud responded:
Now, that you've accomplished a few of your goals, it's important to know how you can maintain and possibly improve on your fitness. Here's some insight into a very important area of research that very few in the medical community have yet to accept. Sitting Kills

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/23/vernikos-sitting-kills.aspx

Moderate to High Activity Level trumps exercise, imo . I stopped "exercising" close to 10 years, ago, and focused more on consistent movement throughout the day. For years, the weight loss community and doctors have been telling their clients, 30 minutes of exercise, everyday. I believe many people are following this advice, though, with little to show for their efforts. Don't get me wrong, performing daily exercise is much, much better than no exercise. But, after a decade of the exercise mantra, look around. Obesity is up. Type 2 Diabetes is up. What has "exercise" really done for us?

I believe Sitting Kills. "Mounting research now suggests that sitting in and of itself is an independent risk factor for poor health and premature death—even if you exercise regularly." Get up and move, periodically, throughout the day to stop the damaging effects of sitting for long periods of time, plus, perform "exercise", daily, and you will eventually become very fit. I've been following this advice for the last 10 years and it works. So much so, like I said, I stopped focusing on "exercising" a long, long, time ago. The average American takes less than 5,000 steps/day. I've averaged 13,000, everyday, for the last six years.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.