Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Best Exercise for Bad Knees
    An_257158 posted:
    I have bad knees and found that spinning class is a good form of exercise. Are there others?

carlj39 responded:
    I'm 65 and I also use stationary bike w/resistance. In addition I do leg presses & leg curls (using a vertical machine). I do 2 set of 15 but I have to watch the weight with curls; I've settled with 35#.

I do not know if the leg press & leg curls are good for OA and would like to hear other comments on this issue.

brunosbud responded:
    spinning, walking and swimming. If you're overweight, you have to get your weight down, of course. Plenty of rest and water, only. Clean diet is really key, too. No pain killers or anti inflammatories, if you can; they give you temporary relief but slow new tissue growth and inflame your liver and kidneys.

You search to repair and heal. You're instincts are spot-on. Building muscle is the correct path. Good luck.

katellawellnesscenter responded:
    Step-ups: Using an aerobic step bench or a staircase, step up onto the step with your right foot.
    Side-lying Leg Lifts: - Wearing ankle weights above the knee lie on your left side, legs straight and together, with your left arm supporting your head.
    Inner-thigh Leg Lifts: - Wearing ankle weights above the knee lie on your left side, slightly back on your butt. Bend your right leg and place it behind your left leg with your right foot flat on the floor and your left leg straight.

Helpful Tips

Water aerobics
    Water aerobics does not put the stress on your knees, ankles and/or back. More
    Was this Helpful?
    25 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.