Skip to content
Best Exercise for Bad Knees
An_257158 posted:
I have bad knees and found that spinning class is a good form of exercise. Are there others?

carlj39 responded:
I'm 65 and I also use stationary bike w/resistance. In addition I do leg presses & leg curls (using a vertical machine). I do 2 set of 15 but I have to watch the weight with curls; I've settled with 35#.

I do not know if the leg press & leg curls are good for OA and would like to hear other comments on this issue.

brunosbud responded:
spinning, walking and swimming. If you're overweight, you have to get your weight down, of course. Plenty of rest and water, only. Clean diet is really key, too. No pain killers or anti inflammatories, if you can; they give you temporary relief but slow new tissue growth and inflame your liver and kidneys.

You search to repair and heal. You're instincts are spot-on. Building muscle is the correct path. Good luck.

katellawellnesscenter responded:
Step-ups: Using an aerobic step bench or a staircase, step up onto the step with your right foot.
Side-lying Leg Lifts: - Wearing ankle weights above the knee lie on your left side, legs straight and together, with your left arm supporting your head.
Inner-thigh Leg Lifts: - Wearing ankle weights above the knee lie on your left side, slightly back on your butt. Bend your right leg and place it behind your left leg with your right foot flat on the floor and your left leg straight.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.