Skip to content
Trouble Losing Weight
elizabeth70 posted:
I've been dieting for over a month. I began by using the Shred diet -- and found after two weeks that I wasn't losing weight;with the diet I calculated my daily caloric intake at about 2,000 calories. I cut that in half -- calculating my daily now for two weeks at about 1200 per day. Lots of fruits and vegies. I work out every other day for 30-40 minutes (running and weights). As of this week (four weeks) I have lost a total of 2 pounds. Not sure why I'm not losing more, but am thinking of cutting calories down further, below 1,000 per day. Any thoughts????

feleciaisdetermined responded:
I wouldn't recommend that. I did it in and it yielded no results...only further frustration. Have your thyroid checked.

sbrist responded:
On Average healthy weight loss goals should be 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. Make sure you are tracking your calories and drinking lots of water. I would go to the doctor to see if there is a more serious reason that you are having trouble losing weight. Good Luck!

undefined responded:
Its hard to pin point someones caloric needs with little information. You should first consult your physician, and if everything checks out....then maybe consult a nutritionist. I would not recommend for anyone to go below 100 calories per day....unless you are of extremely small stature.

Anon_228929 responded:
I recently had a similar discussion with my physician. I am 50 and she was ok with me dropping to 1100 calories per day but no less. She also told me that if you are within 10-15 pounds of your ideal weight, your body fights to hold onto it, to protect you. She also explained to keep plugging away, as usually at this point that people get frustrated and give up. I have also noticed that while I don't always see a difference on the scale, I notice clothes fitting better. Good luck and be patient, it takes time.

becky1204 responded:
Are you sure the calories are correct for your current height & weight? Go to "my fitness pal" to see what your calorie intake should be to loose however much weight a week you choose to loose. The site is a great help to keep track of what you eat.

aljasemian responded:
1) what is height, age, and current weight? 2) lots of fruits and veggies do have a lot of calories, and that might be your problem. Sorry to say but remember cows only eats veggies (grass!). 3) consult your Dr., to make sure nothing is wrong With you, and if all is well, then here is the best Diet!: - exercise and eat a balanced diet, - don't drink alcoholic beverages, - you will lose weight if you could avoid mixing Carbs & protein, and limit your fruit to 3 per day On empty stomach 20 min before you eat your food - good luck

evie_07 responded:
Losing a pound a week is a good goal. You could easily loose more if you are over 250 lbs. 1-2 lb weight loss a week is what any doctor or dietitian will suggest to you. If you want to speed up weight loss I wouldn't go below 1100 calories a day and increase work outs. I would suggest an 45 minutes to an hour of cardio 5-7 days a week and weights 3-4 days for at least 15 minutes. Remember that muscle does weigh more than fat so if you are doing serious weight training you are likely to gain weight even if you are losing inches. Dont be discouraged because it is good news if you are maintaining or losing any weight. Dont be tempted to go too crazy cutting calories especially if you arent getting enough protein in the process. I suggest using my fitness pal or a similar program to help you on your journey.

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Hi elizabeth70,

I admire you for your dedication and conviction to lose some weight, or for generally working towards a healthier you. It's good that you were able to lose some. What you need to understand though is that losing weight is a gradual process, it's not something to be hurried. Losing too much weight on a short period of time is unhealthy.

Your weight loss is a reflection of what you have done to achieve it. The fact that you combine diet and exercise means that you are on the right track. However, if the process seems so slow for you, try to consult a medical practitioner who can guide you through this journey. Sometimes, an expert's sound observations can do so much to help us understand things better.

Your lifestyle also factors in your weight loss. Does your job make you sit behind a desk all day? Aside from your workout every other day, how much activity do you engage in?

Some suggestions to help with your fitness routines, try to use the stairs sometimes. Like if your office is at the fifth floor of the building, why not take the stairs at least from the second floor down to the first on your way out. Or if your work place is very near where you live, walk home on the days that you don't plan to workout. This way, you get to burn off calories even when you are not working out.

Also, it would be nice if you can find the time to read this article: http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/when-carbs-are-the-good-guys-a3815.html - this might just help with your diet plan.

Goodluck! I wish you the best and don't give up just yet!

wmvedd replied to becky1204's response:
@ becky1204: You are right on the money. I've been consuming 1000-1100 calories per day for a month and no weight loss. I went to "the lose weight diet free" site and found that my body needed 1890 calories per day. I put my body into starvation mode for no results. If I minus 500 calories per day from that 1890, I'll lose 1 pound a week. So far it works like a charm. Lost 2 pounds the first week. Now I'm on track.

colliefan responded:
I like the food and fitness planner on web MD. You can set the weight loss goal based on your preferences - minimum of 1 lbs per week. I chose the minimum because I want to go slowly. I believe that the body begins to defend itself when you go too low on the calorie in-take and the result is negative health impact without initial weight loss. The planner encourages a combination of calorie control and fitness - which is the best approach.. Slow and steady wins the race.

aksriv responded:
Dear elizabeth70
Please do not mind that how much calories burn,go natural way to manage weight,perform regular yoga and noble exercises for better and real result,these yoga exercises keep you fit and free from various diseases also. I am a yoga and fitness trainer and find that many person get relief in these types of problems,i am happy if you get some relief in this trouble, please do not mind about time it can take 3 to 6 month but without any contradiction.

Details at-
source:
weight loss yoga

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Find a coach
Can you find a friend to encourage you? Or better yet a personal trainer that can help you identify a routine that fits your schedule and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.