When to increase weight of exercise
douglas47 posted:
I am 66-1/2 years old, so "bulking up" is not my goal. I have been doing 3 sets of 5-10 reps/exercise, with a 1 minute rest between sets. Thus, I exercise to exhaustion with each set. I do each exercise very slow, methodical, and controlled (especially the eccentric contraction).

My question is, once I can complete 10 perfect reps in the first set, should I increase the weight then, or is it better to wait until I can do all 3 sets with a perfect 10?

Thanks

powerhousearms responded:
hi douglas ;i have found that doing 3 sets of 10 with the same weight until comfortable is the right way 2 go. then you could try going up in weight or change your program around to 4x8 just mix it up a little not mutch remember we are both 66 just watch your form and keep changing the program, going heavy is not an issue 4 old iron lovers like us toned and staying healthy rest a little longer inbetween sets will help also it wqrks 4 me and has done 4 over 35 years good luck douglas /

thereturn1 responded:
I am 17 years old and workout 5 days a week. Personally, I would say at an age like that you really don't want to obviously build muscle. To tone your body find a weight limit to do about 3 sets of 12 or 4 sets of around 9. Props to you and keep going strong! Hopefully this helps.