Skip to content
When to increase weight of exercise
douglas47 posted:
I am 66-1/2 years old, so "bulking up" is not my goal. I have been doing 3 sets of 5-10 reps/exercise, with a 1 minute rest between sets. Thus, I exercise to exhaustion with each set. I do each exercise very slow, methodical, and controlled (especially the eccentric contraction).

My question is, once I can complete 10 perfect reps in the first set, should I increase the weight then, or is it better to wait until I can do all 3 sets with a perfect 10?

Thanks

powerhousearms responded:
hi douglas ;i have found that doing 3 sets of 10 with the same weight until comfortable is the right way 2 go. then you could try going up in weight or change your program around to 4x8 just mix it up a little not mutch remember we are both 66 just watch your form and keep changing the program, going heavy is not an issue 4 old iron lovers like us toned and staying healthy rest a little longer inbetween sets will help also it wqrks 4 me and has done 4 over 35 years good luck douglas /

thereturn1 responded:
I am 17 years old and workout 5 days a week. Personally, I would say at an age like that you really don't want to obviously build muscle. To tone your body find a weight limit to do about 3 sets of 12 or 4 sets of around 9. Props to you and keep going strong! Hopefully this helps.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

losing weight
I am losing weight by counting calories. I am half way to my goal of losing 34 pounds. I find loseit.com helpful (or the app). More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.