Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Morning or Evening?
p66gal posted:
I seem to have more time to walk after dinner, etc. Does anyone know if there are more benefits to walking in the morning versus after dinner?

mafidl responded:
I live in south Florida and unless I get up rather early, it's too hot to walk until night. Good excuse, yes? not

abesnake responded:
It doesn't matter when you walk if you're doing it for muscle conditioning. If you're trying to lose weight it matters, because after meals your body will use some of what you are digesting for energy instead of using fat stores. I have a crazy schedule so I go to the gym at midnight well after dinner. I eat nothing after 7:00 PM and only drink water when I get back. You burn most of your fat while sleeping at night. So, to calm me down I take a tryptophan tablet and I go right out. I eat Atkins and have lost 90 lbs. doing this regime.

brunosbud responded:
Define "benefit".

rohvannyn responded:
I usually say the best time to exercise is when you do it. Any exercise is better than no exercise. That said, some say they get more out of walking in the morning because it kind of revs them up for the day. However, taking a walk after dinner is a time honored tradition and if it's not too vigorous is still good to do. If you eat a really heavy meal it may cause problems with digestion, but most people don't really have a problem.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.