Skip to content
not losing weight inspite of gym and diet
kupuin posted:
I am 51 years old male and my height is 5.71/2 inches. I weigh around 82 kg.

My diet is below 1200 cal/day and pure veg, and I avoid oil and fat. My diet mostly comprises of egg white, sprouts, boiled green beans, boiled dal, and boiled veggies.

I take a handful of nuts every day along with a glass of protein shake and creatinine 5 mg daily.

I do 30 min cardio (consume around 350 cal and weight training for 30 min 3-4 times a week. I lift around 70 kg in bench press.

I am not losing weight and the belly fat. Any suggestions on my diet and work outs.

brunosbud responded:
You see the movie, "Shawshank Redemption"? You're goal is the stream outside the prison? Well, you're still digging the hole in the wall with the rock hammer. You'll get to that stream on two conditions:

1. Your "hammer" doesn't break, or
2. You give up

You gained the weight because you lacked the "tools". plus, you gave up. Now that you have both, the weight coming off is a mathematical inevitability.

bbfc7 responded:
For the amount that you workout is your calorie intake correct? If you are not consuming enough calories your body will go into a conservation mode. It sounds like your diet is pretty healthy. Have you ever heard of Shakeology? It is a very healthy shake that very helpful with weight loss. I can send u the link if you would like more info.

randcool responded:
You are starving yourself and your body has gone to starvation mode. You need oil and fat in your diet. Web MD tells you this in their articles.I wouls suggest increasing your calories to 1800 and include some fat and oil.

blueboxt40 responded:
I completely agree with the comments so far - you need oils/fats appropriately to avoid starvation mode. That said, when the body gets used to an exercise program - it will stop losing. It is important to realize that including aspects body weight exercises into the routine are a great way to keep the body confused. I was cardio only for years and then joined a local boot camp. The change kept on coming because I was confusing my body all the time. Might be time to mix things up a bit. All my best!

queenfrusty responded:
your metabolism is slow down due to the low intake calorie.eat 1200 cal calorie you burn by excising for example if you burn 250cal by running today you should eat 1450 cals. according to your weight and height, you need 2050 cal a day to function and if you go below 1200 your body go to starvation and some body functions are shot down and you won't loose weight. also mix cardio and straight training because more muscle u build more fat you burn.

bstephens responded:
Hi Kupuin! Try increasing your amount of fat calories. I realize that might sounds counter productive, but eliminating fat could decrease your metabolic efficiency. I would read some articles from men's fitness or men's health for some ideas on how you can improve your diet or your exercise. Typically when you follow the same routine for months at a time your body becomes "comfortable" to the exercises and the schedule being preformed, and improvement slowed. Try some Yoga or take a Pilates class. You will notice improvement. Calculate your BMI, tape measure, and use a BF Calipers to give yourself an accurate calculation of your body composition. You may not see improvements on the scale, but your body is changing. Read articles on testosterone deficiencies. If you feel that these would not help, I would try analyzing your life outside of the gym. Things like stress and sleep deprivation can slow weight loss as well. If you are still unsure, I would seek your physician for advice or a referral to a fitness professional. Hope these help! Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

losing weight
I am losing weight by counting calories. I am half way to my goal of losing 34 pounds. I find loseit.com helpful (or the app). More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.