Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Running & Lisinopril - HCTZ
bstjoe posted:
I am an avid runner that just was put on Lisinopril - HCTC 10/12.5 MG. There seems to be a very strong correlation between when I started this medication and my running times going downhill. Is this a possible side effect? Is there anything (other than stopping taking my meds) I can do to reverse this trend?

Thanks

JeannieY responded:
I do a lot of running as well and take Lisinopril. My doctor prescribed the 10mg dosage, which made me more tired and sluggish besides having the dry cough. I cut it down to 5mg and don't really have any more problems. It controls my blood pressure well enough so I don't really need 10mg.

Maybe you could try cutting down the dosage and see if it makes a difference in how you perform but keep monitoring your blood pressure to make sure it's still doing the job. Good luck.

bstjoe responded:
Thanks for the reply. That's something I could pursue.

re223 responded:
I've had the same experience. Have been running marathons for 10 years, but have always had high blood pressure. Since starting on Lisinopril, I am generally tired much sooner in my run and my endurance has suffered. I sometimes have to stop and walk. Funny thing is, as soon as I recover, I can run again fine. It's a weird feeling, not like being out of breath from running sprints, say, but more like the feeling you get when you hit the wall, like you're just all tapped out. Same effect in yoga, biking, hiking, etc.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Yes, this a known side-effect. Discuss it with your doctor because there are other HTN meds (or possibly a reduced dose), plus, if you can do more exercise, it should have a positive impact on your blood pressure.

re223 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you very much, good to know.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to re223's response:
You're very welcome. Good luck.

fusionsport replied to re223's response:
I'm just starting on 10mg 12.5 of Lisinopril/hctz. I try to do two tri's per year olympic and sprint distances. Love to train in warm weather. I've also read some very confusing stuff about how this impacts your potassium levels. Problem is the literature i've read literally says it could raise the level....or lower it. Even my Gen'l Practitioner seems a bit vague about this. What the heck? Does it raise it or lower it? Can i still do a nice 50 minute run in 90 degree weather? Can i drink all the gatorade I want?

Who are the experts in excersize and hypertention. I was at about 145 or 150 over 90. excercise alone didn't lower it so doc prescribed this. Am i rushing into medication here?

Agonista replied to fusionsport's response:
I find it interesting, perhaps its the lisinopril, which i don't take. However i am prescribed HCTZ and i began taking it when i was already used to an exercise routine everyday. What i noticed at first was an increase in energy and the need to urinate more... As i was later taken off the drug, i missed the boost of energy, but i have the propensity to add effects to medications, not unlike the placebo effect... A year later, i was put back on the drug, after a disgustingly salty daily diet of ramen noodle soups and refried beans (prepackaged, just add water) and soon began jogging. Again, i noticed the boost of energy and a somewhat more intense sweat. It was another two or three months before i developed a daily routine, more so in the winter than summer, as it is very hot and humid down here in the southeast US. This consisted of downing three bottles of water, mostly just refilling from tap, almost to where i was full from the water, taking the hctz, waiting 15-20min, urinating, then leaving a filled bottle of water by the track i ran on. I would stretch and then run and would then begin a race from my bladder: run fast enough and sweat, too slow and fill the bladder. Obviously the warmer it is the easier to sweat and thus probably not conducive to a long run, but in the winter, i found it easier to run to five miles, then reach that wall you guys may be speaking of, slow it down a bit, if thirsty grab that bottle by the track and take a swig each lap or half lap, then kick in 2nd wind for another two or three miles. Now i have never ran a marathon, the longest i ever ran was just over ten miles, but i think the routine that i had with the hctz had helped.. I do not take the hctz right now as my hbp is in check at around 125 over 65. Also in this summer heat cramping can ensue and i don't feel like drinking that much water (probably twice as much as winter time... No exaggeration). Also each bottle was the 16.9 oz bottle.. I hope this helps.

xccyclist replied to Agonista's response:
I just finished cycling the 2,000-mile "Sierra Cascades" route and had great problems with the effects of lisinopril / HCTZ. I was suffering from unusual muscle weakness, great dehydration, a rather severe pain in my lower back, and extreme dizziness each evening after finishing the day's riding. I'll describe these in a bit more detail below but in a nutshell these problems nearly forced me to quit the tour, until I decided to stop taking the drug combination. Within 24 hours of stopping, all these problems vanished completely, never to recur.

This cycling route requires climbing mountain passes almost on a daily basis. I had been on the drugs for a couple years, (my previous long-distance tour was three years ago) and now I was finding that my body simply was not responding right. I did not have my muscle strength, speed or stamina. I thought I must have gotten old suddenly! Also, despite drinking continuously, I found that at the end of the ride I would feel desperately thirsty (and lousy) until I would gulp down three liters of water and only then would begin to feel better. (This meant I had to get up 6 times a night to pee.) I had been suffering from a moderate post-exercise dizziness for many months but on this tour the dizziness was so extreme it would take me 45 minutes to put up my tent because I would have to kneel or grab ahold of a picnic table to keep from blacking out, virtually every step. Colors would blanch and I would feel vague and asleep on my feet until I crouched. It would finally ease up after nearly an hour. Lastly I had had a sharp back ache for a number of months -- I thought I had wrenched a muscle during training -- and was seeing a chiropractor, which did not help much. On the tour this ache grew worse and worse each day -- it hurt when I breathed deeply, when I pedaled uphill, even when I turned over in my sleeping bag. After 10 days of hard cycling, it just seemed that overall my body was thoroughly out of whack.

Figuring the dehydration was the most dangerous problem I ceased taking the diuretic. (This meant I stopped taking the lisinopril/HCTZ combination.) The next day my back pain was abruptly gone! I was instantly riding faster and climbing with my old strength. When I finished the day, I did not have a trace of dizziness! And I had no need for gulping down water -- and thus no need to get up in the night. It was like a miracle cure -- in reverse.

When I returned home a few weeks later and got back to ordinary conditioning -- stair climbing/ cycling, etc. -- I resumed taking the lisinopril/HCTZ and was again finding myself feeling lousy after about half an hour of intense work -- and feeling so dizzy afterwards I would have to grab the machine until the symptom passed. I stopped the medication, again, and the problems disappeared, again.

I now take the lisinopril alone and do not have any of these problems. My doctor confirms that the HCTZ was probably creating these issues and that the severe back pain was probably caused by my system being too "dry" and making one of my kidneys work so hard it was complaining.

I would guess that for most people who exercise moderately, the HCTZ is OK. But for very intensive exercisers (especially in warm conditions) HCTZ should be used with caution -- at the very least watching out for symptoms such as mine. The nice thing is the HCTZ does not apparently have any lingering or long-term effect so the issues, if they occur, are easily resolved.

tammyhiles responded:
have been taking Lisinoprol 20/HCTZ12.5 for about a year now. I took it before and then switched medicines because of the coughing side effect of the Lisinopril. The new medicine did not provide the same results so I switched back. I have the cough off and on, sometimes it is pretty strong for a few minutes. It goes away and recently has been minimal. The only other side effect I notice is dizziness or light headedness sometimes. I started taking the pill late morning after eating breakfast. The side effects seem to be much better for the most part.

Griwata replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Dr. Weil, You are the first doctor that has mentioned this is a side effect of Lisinopril. I have been running marathons for 10 years. But it was not until I started taking Lisinopril that my marathon times slowed down significantly. My doctor does not equate the tiredness (way more than I am used to feeling) at the end of a race to the med. is there any study or documentation I can show him? Thank you for being the first to acknowledge a link to the drug and endurance athletes!

undefined replied to Griwata's response:
Did you get any response to more information?

I am having problems running now also...problems with endurance

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Quality sleep begets well-being and health
When a person is deprived of good sleep, or if sleep is disruptive or disordered, the person's mood, cognition and physical functioning ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.