Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up


Join this forum to share health and fitness information.
Exercising with very bad knees...need help!
Sarah8492 posted:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need some help. I am really trying to get my life back in order. I quit smoking almost two months ago, and now I would like to try to work on my weight, however I have very bad knees and I don't know if there is a whole lot I can do in regards to exercising. I am 36, and when I was in my late teens I had surgery on both my knees, and they still give me problems today. They are so bad I don't even have the full range of motion, it's been like this for almost 20 years. In the last few days, I have started to take my diet and weight seriously, I threw away all the stuff in the fridge and pantry, and I have completely changed my diet. At work, I take two 10 minute walks, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. After the 10 minutes is up, my knees are hurting so bad I can't do anything else. Maybe the more I walk every day, the pain will eventually be less, who knows. But is there any other exercises that I could do besides walking? Just about everything I have read, involves the knees big time, and I just can't do that. Does anyone here have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Sarah8492 responded:
Wow, I posted this a week ago and no replies? Guess I'll have to go somewhere else.
astaheli responded:
Well, it sounds like you need to be really careful with your knees. I'd consult with your doctor about the amount of walking your doing. But I'd recommend swimming; it's one of the safest sports as far as muscle care goes. It also works out all your muscles, which not many sports can do. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

am 54+ years of age weigh 185 pounds am 6' 3" tall diagnosed with hypertension and afibrillation on 7/4/12 like to ride my road bicycle and l...More

More Members

There are no other member stories at this time

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.