Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
could I be allergic to chicken?
kevandjill posted:
For the past year or so whenever I would eat chicken or turkey (mostly chicken) I would get an itchy scratchy throat and it would almost feel like it was swollen and hard to swallow. Could I be having an allergic reaction? At first I thought maybe it was certain seasonings that different places put on the chicken but now I am thinking its something more. Can someone please give me some insight?

Thanks

mrswhitecastle responded:
Those do sound like symptoms of an allergic reaction. I would make an appointment with an allergist. An allergist will help you determine if you are allergic, and exactly what you are allergic to. An allergist would also be able to prescribe medication in case your breathing was severely compromised. In the mean time, I would avoid any foods that you have had problems with in the past.
Emily (5 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (3)

Mainemommy replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Another thing to look into is GERD I have a hiatel hernia and so reflux can be a huge issue ( though no itching) and it feels similiar like thingss are not going through my be coming up like your throat closes BUT you can breathe through your mouth

seeit2 responded:
You could also be allergic to what someone is feeding the chicken, believe it or not. Try a free-range or grass-fed variety and see if you have the same reaction - then let us know how you make out!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.