Skip to content
Allergic reaction by smelling?
kayari0610 posted:
I don't know if this is even possible, please help!!! I was feeding my infant bananas for the first time and I know that I'm allergic to them. I was very careful not to touch them, even wore gloves while feeding them to her. I've had reactions to bananas before and I know what to look for and I'm having all the syptoms of an allergic reaction. My question is Can have a reaction by smelling the food? If anyone has any insight into this please let me know. Thank you!!!!

sarahogan responded:
yes you can

heather7257 responded:
Don't know about bananas but have heard you can with peanuts and I know that seafood protein can become air bound when cooked.

crunk05177 responded:
I have heard that happen from peanut dust.... and like Heather said (my name is Heather too lol) I have never heard it happen with bananas. Before you feed it to her again, I would consult a doctor....can't hurt right?

sarahogan responded:
I didn't have enough time to write a longer response the other day, but yes, it is possible. My neighbor is deathly allergic to bananas and if he even smells one, he gets light headed.

kayari0610 responded:
Thank you all for your replies! I greatly appreciate them I did speak with her pediatrician and he said that if I'm having a reaction then I don't have to feed them to her. "She's tried them and that's good enough" were his words. I'm feeling better today but it definitely affected me for the last couple of days. Just now feeling better after 3 days of pure allergic reaction hell. Again, thank you all and have a wonderful day!!!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.