Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Baked Egg & Milk Challenge
SeattleAlkiMama posted:
Hello-

I'm new to this blog and hope to learn some helpful tips on how to manage my son's food allergies. I've read some posts and it's been very informative.

Nate is two and has the following allergies; dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, barley, corn, kiwi, etc. He has an EpiPen that we haven't had to use (thank God) but we've given him Benadryl for non-anaphylaxis reactions to certain foods.

He had the skin testing done at a year old and again about six months ago. We have not done the RAST blood test yet. His milk and egg were the following; egg white 3/20 and cow milk 5/20. I'm not too familiar with the flare/wheal results. Do these numbers mean he is highly probable for an anaphylaxis reaction? I first noticed he was allergic to dairy when I tried 4oz of formula and he broke out in full body hives.

The allergist has recommended trying baked eggs/milk. Is this something any of you have successfully done at home or did you do this at the allergy center? I'm really nervous to try this even in small amounts at home, but not against it. I would love to be able to give him foods that have milk and eggs because it would open up so many more doors. Not to mention the nutrients he is missing with everything he's allergic to.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Heather

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
Hello! Welcome to the board.

That is a long list of foods to avoid. It must be difficult.

I'm sorry I can't help you. Hopefully someone else will be able to give their experience with the eggs and milk trial. I can only imagine how frightening that would be to give him the trial at home. I'd be a mess with worry!

BTW, your profile pic is absolutely adorable! What a cutie!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
Welcome Heather. I don't have experience with the wheal numbers but we have done the egg challenge at home successfully. The only reason I tried it at home was because my DD's blood numbers fell below what my allergist considered the risk criteria. She was diagnosed with milk and egg allergy at 10 months and tested out of the egg allergy at age 4. Her milk numbers are still way to high to try to challenge but we are watching them to see if they go down at all. Lily gets terrible hives on contact with milk and anaphylaxis if she eats it.

Has your child eaten eggs, or just tested positive for them? If your allergist says it is safe to try at home then I say go for it - if you are nervous (which is understandable) then can you push for an in-office challenge? I am personally an advocate of going by the reaction over the test results, though you will find differing opinions about that.
Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
Welcome....My name is Heather too! And my DS2 with the allergies is also Nate (Nathan)

My son has a peanut and egg allergy (possibly more now, we are going back to allergist on Mon) but it only being those two, he still has a wide variety of foods on his list he can eat. A friend who had two daughters with severe allergies to almost everything told me she would give them avocados daily since they are super healthy and have a lot of nutrients and vitamins in them. DS1 won't eat them, either will I, but DS2 LOVES them.

heather7257 responded:
Yet another Heather posting! My DD has milk and egg allergy. In Feb she did a food challenge, that was closely supervised at the allergy clinic. We had to follow special recipes for foods with baked milk and eggs in them. Thankfully she passed both her challenges. She can now eat 1-3 servings a day of milk or egg baked with flower at 350 for 30 min. Or store bought foods where the milk or eggs are third on the list of ingredients or lower. In fact the allergist said she will outgrow the allergy faster if she does eat these baked goods. If you do try a challenge at home start with baked goods (for eggs, it can't be scrambled, hard, poached, etc. , quiche, french toast, meringue etc.) and start with very small portions. I can give you more info and the challenge recipes if you want. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.