Skip to content
Kid Parties -- Ugh
MrsWhiteCastle posted:
I've been dreading this since we found out about Emily's allergy. Emily is beginning to enter the age of dropping kids off for parties.

She went to her first party the other day in which parents dropped their kids off and left. There was NO WAY I was comfortable doing that. It wasn't too bad, though, as I knew the person giving the party and another mother stuck around.

I'm not sure how I am going to handle this. I don't want her to always have to have her mother around, but she isn't old enough to self-carry/administer. I also am not comfortable training everyone on how to use the EpiPen.

Sometimes I just feel like we are always having to navigate new territory. I guess that's just part of them growing up.

Has anyone had to deal with this yet? How do you, or plan to, handle it?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts)  Elizabeth (4)

crunk05177 responded:
We are having somewhat of a similar problem. Nathan is only 17 months so it easier to hold him back from certain things. He has been to one birthday party since being diagnosed but it was a party for my nephew so my entire family was there to help keep him entertained and eating goldfish instead of cake....even though he really knew what the cake was and totally wanted it....badly lol.

The next party they were invited to was a swimming party for a 6 year old. Other than the allergy being a hassle, an adult had to go in the pool with him too so we kept him home.

This weekend....we are invited to a party for a 3 year old. He is no way near the age of being left alone at a party obviously but I am SOOOO scared that he is going to grab some kids cake or something. I am going to make cupcakes or something that looks like that cake so he can enjoy his treat as well.

If I were in your situation....I don't know....I am freaking out and I will be attending the party lol!

heather7257 responded:
This might be a dumb suggestion, but maybe for awhile until she is a bit older but still wanting her independence, you could sit outside of the house in your car and catch up on some reading. That way if anything did go wrong the you could be on hand.

seeit2 responded:
We've only had to face a few parties and I've always stuck around - I know what you mean about not always wanting to be there though. Didn't you say it gets easier once they are in school? ;)

I bring something safe for LIly with us when we go to bday parties - I doubt that would change. But personally, I would keep going with her for a long time. You can always "volunteer" to help and stay in the background, right? Would she hate you for that?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

MrsWhiteCastle replied to seeit2's response:
Ahh... You caught me, you caught me. Of course, these things I've already been through should be easy for everyone else! :)

I just want to say again how thankful I am this board is here. It is so nice to have a place to come and have people really understand what we go through.

I'll probably just stick around, and try to stay in the background as much as possible. The car idea is something I'll think about. Close, but not too clse. Much better to have an embarrassed daughter than a hospitalized one!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.