Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poll: Keeping Allergens Around
MrsWhiteCastle posted:
1. Do you keep your child's allergen(s) in the house?

2. Why or why not?

3. Will your answer change as (s)he gets older?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts)  Elizabeth (4)

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
1. No. We also don't allow her allergens in our cars. We used to sometimes hide a bakery cake (with no obvious nuts) for just DH and me on the top shelf of the fridge where she couldn't even see it. Since we have been eating healthier, we have stopped doing that, too.

2. We feel it's important for her to have a completely safe place. We weren't big nut eaters before, so we rarely had them in the house anyway.

3. Probably not. Depending on what her allergy test numbers do, MAYBE we will eventually allow "processed on/near" labels or bakery items.

What really got me thinking about this was a couple of posts I have read recently on other boards. I know that some parents believe it's important to have the allergy around, so that the child knows that it is there, but they can't have it. I read a post once about how there was a jar of PB in a peanut allergic child's class, and he was completely upset by it. Some parents understood, but others thought it was a bit extreme for the child to be so upset by it.

I was just curious what other's thoughts are on the subject. Hopefully I'm not completely warping her, or in all seriousness, making her unduly afraid of her allergens by not having them around the house.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
1. Yes We have always had milk in the house in the form of cheese, mainly. I cook every meal without the cheese etc but some are good with a little goo so DH and/or I will add the cheese to our own serving at the table. Of course, milk is not an airborne allergen so I think it is a totally different thing...once DS was born we did start having milk around because he needed the calories and "nutrients" (at least the fats) from milk. We serve it to him in his high chair only, and wash him down completely afterward. Early on he would spit up or spill and DD was reacting all over the place so we got hyper-vigilant about it and it got better. Now it's a little easier.

1. We don't keep peanuts of any mind in the house due to DS. So I guess my answer is a mixed bag on this one!

3. I don't see anything changing until the allergies change, if they do at all.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

heather7257 responded:
1. Yes to Milk and Eggs, no to peanuts. We are extremely careful about cleanup and cross contamination though.

2. We don't know how DD will react to a peanut exposure, she has only had skin testing that indicate an allergy. If it is anything like her auntie it will be anaphylaxis. She can now eat milk in eggs in baked goods so I am not as perinoid about her eating crumbs of the floor etc.

3. Only if she out grows the peanut allergy which I am not counting on. We don't even eat peanuts even if we are not around her. DH had transfered allergens to her through kissing her on the cheek and we don't want that to happen with the peanuts.

heather7257 responded:
I don't think it is unusual for the child to be bothered by the jar of peanut butter in his class room. I brought some soy-nut butter to my SIL who is highly allergic to peanuts. The texture and consistency is almost identical to the real thing. She was very hesitant to try it even though we all reassured her and she was able to read the label. It just seemed wrong after so many years of conditioning I guess. She is a teenager too so I can imagine a young child would be worse.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.