Skip to content
Checking in
seeit2 posted:
How is everyone doing? Things are so busy lately! Any big plans for graduations, weddings, birthdays etc? We have a few bday parties to go to and DD's Prek graduation party (seriously - do we have to graduate from everything now?) is the day the moving truck is supposed to come...so that will be interesting. Anybody else feeling overwhelmed or is it just me lol?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy,  DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
You have every reason to feel overwhelmed. I can get overwhelmed just reading what you have to get accomplished in a short period of time!

I have a feeling that a trip to the allergist is in our near future. Emily has a bladder infection again. (Seriously, I should put the pedi's number on speed dial.) The good news, though, is that her lungs sound good, and he didn't hear any wheezing. Yay! The bad news is this cough/sneeze she's had for the past week. I thought it was due to still recovering from the pneumonia. Nope. Just good old seasonal allergies. I put her on Claritan earlier this week. Today, the pedi gave me 2 weeks worth of Cingulair samples to see if they help. If they help, I'll probably be calling the allergist to see what she wants me to do. If they don't help, I'll probably be calling the allergist to see what else I can do.

Is it OK if I put a little selfish thought in here? I'm sad that I can't open my windows anymore. I love airing out the house and sleeping at night with the windows open. I love driving down the road with the windows open and just smelling the Spring air. I can't do that now, it just makes Emily worse. whine, whine, whine.

OK, selfish paragraph over! Other than that, things are good here. I'm looking forward to school being out soon!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
I feel your pain. I have the same kind of environmental allergies. And I'm also allergic to dust and mold, so even with the windows closed I am prone to year-round sinus infections because I don't try very hard to control my allergies. Every Spring I celebrate the weather by throwing open all the windows, then I suffer the consequences...in my case I do it anyway, but if it were DD I probably would not. An in-room air filter helps immensely, for any and all allergies, I highly recommend one in the bedroom.

Sorry to hear about the UTI. Do you think that is allergy-related too?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

MrsWhiteCastle replied to seeit2's response:
Thanks for the suggestion on the air filter. I'll start looking for one.

I'm going to have to call the allergist. I feel so bad when I hear her coughing. She does this cough/sneeze, and she'll cough at least 4 times every minute for hours sometimes. Cough drops help some, but as soon as they are gone, she's coughing again. If she does ANY sort of running, she starts coughing. It's awful! She's on Singulair and Claritan 2x a day. Maybe I haven't waited long enough for them to start working?

I don't think the UTI is allergy related. I think it's because she took a bath. We had stopped all baths after her last UTI, until recently. We gave her like 2 (without bubbles or anything) within a week, and she ended up with a UTI. I'm hoping swimming pools will be OK this summer....

In other news, I'll update our allergy-school happenings this week. She had a special day at school yesterday, everyone walked to school. Outside the school they were handing out "healthy" snacks. They were bagels from a bagel/coffee shop. I guess that's better than donuts. DH was with her, thank goodness, so he kept a close eye on her.

Tomorrow she goes on a field trip to the zoo. Parents aren't allowed on the bus because there isn't enough room. Kids are bringing sack lunches with them to eat at the zoo. I'll have to talk to the teacher today to see what we are going to do about the EpiPen.

It's always something, isn't it? Was it really me a few weeks ago saying Kindergarten is easier?????
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.