Skip to content
Vegetable/cooking oil allergy?
doffingk23 posted:
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about vegetable oil allergies?
I'm 20 years old and in good health. It seems like every time I eat fried foods, cook with hot oil, or eat potato chips I, almost instantly, get severe sinus and migraine symptoms. Tonight, for example, I ate a couple potato chips and I feel so terrible, like how I do when I get sinus infections. Also, whenever I cook with hot vegetable oil or am around a deep-fryer I seem to get the migraines and sinus headaches and symptoms. I was just curious to see if anyone's ever heard anything about a vegetable oil allergy? I google'd a couple things and everything came up as saying its a very rare allergy and that most of the time people are allergic to a specific type of oil like canola or peanut oil but I've only ever cooked with regular vegetable oil. Is this something I should chat with my doctor about?

Thanks!!
Kalena

MBinMaryland responded:
Vegetable oil can be a mix of oils. I have some problems with Soy and its in everthing. I can't get near to Canola oil but cotton seed, peanut and corn are ok. And yes work with you doctor, it may take a while to find what the problem(s) is. It took three years to find a Papain a meat tenderizer allergy.

crunk05177 responded:
My coworker developed an allergy to it in her late 20's. If she eats anything that has been cooked in it or has come in contact with it, she gets horribly sick. For her wedding, she had to not only find a hall that she liked and could afford, she had to find one that was willing to steralize everything in the kitchen before her party and to not cook anything with it. Luckily for her she was accommodated and everything went well. She just stays away from it and has to call places before she visits....I guess it can't hurt to speak to a doctor...especially if it turns out to be something else, not an allergy.

doffingk23 replied to crunk05177's response:
Thanks for being so helpful, you guys! I talked to my mother about it and she'd never heard of it so its good to know that its not something I had just been creating in my mind

sarahogan replied to doffingk23's response:
FYI: Most oils that are listed as 100% vegetable oil are made almost entirely of Soy, or Corn. My husband has a corn allergy and I have a soy allergy, so we have to read the labels very carefully before buying "100% Vegetable Oil"

Frances3139 responded:
Hello Kalena,

Since it's been a year from this posting, I hope you have been able to locate more information. My allergies started this year, and I was searching around and found your question.

The term "vegetable oil" is a cover up for all seed-derived and all nut-derived oils since most of them are VEGETABLES.

After much research, here is what I had to learn about my condition: Because most oils are made from seeds and nuts, it follows that those who knew or did not know of seed or nut allergies discover that they now are allergic to the various oils. I am allergic to all seeds and all nuts. Therefore, I am allergic to ALL oils except olive oil, which does not come from seed or nut. Thank goodness.

Since most restaurants now use CANOLA oil (which comes from rapeSEED and is made in Canada, which is the first three letters in the name of the oil, CAN), I do not eat out as much. Also, I politely decline all foods from friends and family rather than subject the cook to a Gestapo-like interrogation.

It is a learning experience. I am adjusting. Take care.

Dillinger86 responded:
If I eat anything with vegetable oil in it I get these really painful boils in or on the tip of my nose, also I got one boil on my leg I had to go to the emergency room, because I let it go to where I had a red line going up my leg.

Dillinger86 replied to Frances3139's response:
wow Fran.. olive oil is the only thing I can eat.

haoqing responded:
hi:
I have multiple food mild allergies, I can't have milk, wheat, soy,corn, red meat, fish and other numerous things, and I can absolutely not eat any cooking oil(vegetables oil) at all, they can immediately causing me to have headache, speech difficulty, breathing problems and etc depends on which type of oil it is, so I have to avoid eating outside at all. doctors are not much to help, individual simply can react differently to different things, and cooking oil are among the primary things trigger allergy like symptom, so I guess avoidance is the best way.

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.