Skip to content
Deb
mrswhitecastle posted:
How are things going? I've been thinking about you lately, and hope the move is going smoothly.

Please update us when you get a chance!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts)  Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
Ugh. I hate moving. We are here, at least, despite floods, tornados, whining movers, and fights over pricing. The air conditioning in the house blew after the first day and it has been 98* plus since we got here. (The compressor went bad - TG for home warranties, that's all I can say!) So that's fixed up now and we are left in a sea of boxes. I'm just trying to make some semblance of normal for my poor kids, they are so beat right now...so no, not going smoothly but I can't think of one single major move we've done (this is our third in four years) that has. You'd think I"d be good at it by now, huh?

How are things with you? Are you surviving the storms? Ready for summer vacation?

(Thanks for asking, BTW!)

Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Sorry to hear it's not going very smoothly. The last time I moved was 10 years ago when DH moved into the house from an apartment. We didn't have that much funiture, and it was a pain. I can't imagine moving an entire household with kids that far!

We are doing pretty well here. I had to be the "bad" Mom today at dance class. The recital is this weekend, and in bold several times, the instructions say "NO FOOD ALLOWED." Well, there was a Mom giving instructions to another mom to bring food for all the kids in the class. I had to butt in and say that may not be a good idea because of food allergies. Then I got to hear all the excuses, well, it's over dinner time, they will be tired, it's a long time for them to wait, blah, blah, blah. She told me to pack my own snack for Emily. Sorry, I'm not breaking the rules. Why can't people just follow the rules? I didn't make them, I just want them to follow them. Why is that so hard for some people? Are they just that special?

Sorry. I didn't mean to make this into my vent. I'm glad that you are all under one roof again. Hopefully you'll get into a good routine soon. And won't have to move again for a very, very long time!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I am starting to think that Americans can't go 20 minutes without eating something, so that is why we must always have food at every little function. And vent away, I totally feel your pain. When DD's teacher found out we were not going to be at her PreK graduation party she put up a food list so people could bring things instead of just serving cake like she originally intended. It was a nice "FU" for us on the way out of town, I thought.

Part of my problem with moving is my DH and his family - every time someone finds a pretty piece of furniture they buy it, then hold into it for what seems like a year, then give it to DH (mostly "antiques" - a very term used very loosely IMO) and he refuses to get rid of them. So I have enough furniture to fill two houses, and most of it is pretty pointless. I am a total minimalist and really practical so if I can't use something I am inclined to pitch or sell it, so the overabundance of old furniture drives me up the wall. And it costs a fortune to move. And no one can touch it...drives me crazy.

Anywho, we are all here and so is all the crap. Hope the recital goes well.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Sheesh. Nice. I wish I could say the teacher's behavior was unbelievable, but we all know it's not. Hopefully your new school will be better.

Why does there have to be food at everything? So many times it's just a complete waste of money and time. At Emily's graduation, they served cookies and juice. For Emily and a PN allergic child, they had a special little package of gluten-free cookies from the same bakery. They didn't understand why those wouldn't be safe. After all, they were gluten free! At least they tried, I guess. I saw hardly any adults eating cookies, so it was such a waste of money anyway. Most of us would have rather just left then sit around some more.

I think that is part of the problem with obesity in America. Food isn't used as fuel. Instead, it's rewards, celebrations, bribes, to avoid boredom, etc. It's not a healthy view of food at all. Something I'm trying very hard to change/avoid in our household.

I hope the pile of boxes is magically getting smaller for you.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.