Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
might be joining
j9ween3 posted:
A couple of weeks ago I gave DD2 some cherries and noticed that she had broken into a rash everywhere the cherries touched on her. I mentioned it to her pedi when we went for her 15 mo appt. She was prescribed an epipen jr. & it was suggested to go see an allergist. I made the appt & the first appt available is Aug 9. This morning we had eggs for breakfast - not her first time with eggs. I noticed she broke out in a rash again. I assumed it was the eggs & not the other foods she was eating. We rubbed the eggs on her forehead & that also broke out into a rash.
During both of the incidents I didn't notice any breathing difficulties. I have children's benadryl in the house. I'm not sure if it is just a contact allergy or more. Also not sure if I should not give her anything with eggs in it (pancakes, etc).

Janine
Tyler -6, Bella -4 & Giana -15 months born 8 weeks early

mrswhitecastle responded:
Oh no! It's so scary when they have a reaction.

Reactions do not usually occur the first time a food is introduced. Emily's reaction was the second time she had cashews. Each time there is an exposure, the reaction can be different, too.

Someone else can probably help you more with the eggs. I do know that there is a difference in eating eggs that are cooked in something, instead of just fried, for example.

You may already know this, but they make Children's Benadryl in single serve doses. Those are nice to keep in your purse with the EpiPen.

I'm sorry you are dealing with all of this. Please keep us posted on how both of you are doing. It is VERY overwhelming and scary, especially at first.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

mrswhitecastle replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Oh, one more thing. I thought I had remembered reading about cherries when I was researching tree nuts. I copied the following paragraph off of another website. (It's from allergicchild.com.) Until the allergist appointment, you might want to be careful of the other fruits in the same family with the cherries.

An almond is actually in the plum family along with apricot, cherry, nectarine, peach, plum and the prune plum, yet it is considered a tree nut by most allergists. It is definitely possible to be allergic to almond, yet be able to tolerate peaches or the other foods in the botanical family.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

j9ween3 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
thanks. I will look into the single serve doses.

The cherry "family" thing I kind of knew. DH has issues with fruit & cherries are his biggest offender. He also can't eat peaches, plums, apples, pears & a few others. He take benadryl & then will still sometimes eat the fruit.

She's had pb several times but now I'm nervous to give it to her again
Janine Tyler -6, Bella -4, and Giana -15 months born 8 weeks early

seeit2 replied to j9ween3's response:
Sorry to hear you have allergy concerns - the allergist is definitely a good move from here. DD had an egg allergy at age 1 and we were told to at least avoid things with more "raw" egg in it like french toast, pancake - things that are not baked. I would call your doc and see what they have to say, because I think opinions have changed over the years about the baked-in thing. She outgrew it by age 3, and I believe it is one of the more common allergies to outgrow early, so there's that anyway.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.