Skip to content
Starting morning daycare tomorrow
seeit2 posted:
DD is going to go to the local daycare three mornings a week in an attempt to help her make friends and find a lunch buddy or two before school starts. The daycare serves milk with snack and lunch. She'll be eating lunch there at a table with all the other kids. I spent 30 minutes this morning discussing the whole allergy thing with the director and her teacher so I can be assured that everyone knows the deal. I swear sometimes I could give that spiel in my sleep, I feel like I go over it and over it with people.

Anyway, in the end much of it will be up to DD, which will be really interesting. She knows not to eat anything that does not come out of her lunchbox unless I say it is OK. (Until I know the teacher has a clue, this is the rule - and even then it may stay that way). I expect it to be fine but I'm still not going to sleep tonight, I know it.

We'll let ya know how it goes! I know DD is really excited to get out and play with other kids her age and make some friends.

Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy,  DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
I'm crossing my fingers for both of you that it goes well!

It's so hard to let them do these things. I just keep telling myself it's all part of growing up. It doesn't help me much, though.

I hope you get some rest tonight. If it were me, I'd probably be dreaming about it all night, and wake up not feeling like I got any good sleep at all.

Please let us know how it goes!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I didn't sleep. But the morning went OK, I guess. She thought carrying and using her own lunchbox was the coolest thing ever to happen to her lol. But then they made her eat lunch at her own table, alone, because the other kids were "so messy". Even Lily said the other kids spilled a LOT of milk. THe table was right next to the others and the teacher said she spent time chatting with Lily so she would not feel isolated -but I didn't like it. I told her I'd rather risk it and have her sit separately with one or two kids, than make DD eat all by herself. I'm not sure if they'll actually do that, so we'll see. I can understand being nervous but...I don't know. Can't one kid just drink water instead, for Pete's sake? They get a choice every day between milk, juice and water and apparently every kid always picks milk. Whatever.

Anyway, Lily didn't seem to care that she ate alone but it ticks me off so I hope they can figure it out. Otherwise she had a great time and said the kids were really nice and the place was really loud and she played outside for a long time. She is excited to go back tomorrow. We'll see how it shakes out.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
I'm glad Lily had a good time, and wants to go back. When they enjoy it so much, it makes the decision easier.

It does seem strange that EVERY kid picks milk. Is it chocolate milk???? I wouldn't want my DD to sit at a table by herself, either. Hopefully after a few more days, she will have lots of friends that want to sit with her, and will choose juice or water.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
OK, so today was better, they put her at a table with some other kids who did not have milk and she came home even more excited about getting to eat a sandwich somewhere other than at home. I spoke to the director about the lunch thing and she said her teacher did tell her she had Lily eat alone and that the teacher said she hadn't thought much of it until she had to tell me, then she felt really horrible about doing it - so I know they won't do that to her again. It didn't matter at all to LIly so no big deal but I"m glad they felt kinda bad about it anyway.

This teacher is really good, I think she gets Lily quite well - she suggested we let her go on some upcoming field trips because she feels the unstructured activity will help her open up more and get into the mix a little better. Which is totally how she is - fairly social when left to her own devices to figure it out and play, but much more reserved in structured or adult-led settings. I was impressed she figured that out after two days. So we may try field trips next, except the ones to the ice cream stand.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Oh, that's such good news!

It sounds like you have found a really good place for Lily. Such a relief, I'm sure!

Would you go with them on the field trip? I'll be honest. I hate field trips. Well, hate might not be the right word. Detest might be better! I'm the opposite of Lily - I hate the unstructured part. And it makes me so nervous to be responsible for other kids! I made DH go on the last field trip with Emily, and they both had a great time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.