Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how do I know?
j9ween3 posted:
So I got the epi pen script filled but how do I know when to use it? what would I be looking for? anywhere on the thigh?
Janine
Tyler -6, Bella -4, and Giana -15 months born 8 weeks early

mrswhitecastle responded:
Here is a link to a chart that I find helpful.

http://the-clarkes.org/stuff/ana.html

From everything I have read, it is always, always, always better to err on the side of caution. There are no harmful side effects for using an EpiPen when you probably wouldn't have had to, but there are terrible effects for not using it when you should have.

I think the side of the thigh or the top of the thigh would be the best spot. For DD, I would probably sit on top of her and inject her in the top of the thigh. Since you are supposed to hold it in for the count of 10, I want someplace that I can easily get to while holding her down. You probably know this, but the EpiPens are made to go through clothing, too.

How are you holding up? Is it sinking in yet, or are you waiting for the allergist appointment?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

j9ween3 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I keep forgetting that eggs could be in stuff (cookies) but luckily it either doesn't bother her or it hasn't bothered her yet. I also was reading something about getting the kids flu shots & it dawned on me that she probably won't get one.
Janine Tyler -6, Bella -4, and Giana -15 months born 8 weeks early

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.