Skip to content
Huh. Exposure without pain.
seeit2 posted:
We have a heck of a time buying bread that is safe for milk and peanut allergy, and end up making our own quite often. But I thought I had a brand that we could use and have been buying it for about two months. This brand makes a few varieties and they are all milk and nut free but I still tend to check labels since it can get confusing.

Apparently they came out with a sugar-free variety (seriously? sugar?) and for whatever reason added butter to the mix. I confused the packaging with my normal version and fed DD from the wrong loaf for about two days. I think she had, maybe, 4 pieces of this bread over a two-day period. And she was fine. I actually never knew until I went to the store, read the label, and noticed I'd been serving it at home.

So. We have an appt with the allergist on the 1st to get the paperwork done for school and meet the new doc - I will certainly be bringing this up. If we can find a way to eat baked-in milk, that would certainly change things around here.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy,  DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
With DS and his egg allergy, I originally was feeding him some baked egg products and I am not sure if it was a coincedence or not but he would get hives once in awhile. Then I took it away completely and the hives seemed to go away. Now, I reintroduced pasta and some other products and brands we eat often. He hasn't had a reaction. But it doesn't mean next time he won't. You know what I mean? She may just not have had a reaction those few times but nothing is saying she won't next time. I mean, I hope you can try!!!! Good luck!

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
Yeah, I kinda doubt it too, but it sounds nice. I don't know how you could successfully eat baked-in milk when even touching it gives you such a severe reaction...but then maybe cooking it changes the proteins, I know that can be the case with egg. I dunno - but I'm definitely going to ask!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Hmmm.... That sounds sort of promising in regards to her milk allergy.

Was your appointment today? How did it go?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Welcome back! (You already had your trip, right? How did it go?)

THe appt was yesterday and went fine. The doc wanted to do some research about the likelihood of doing a food challenge with baked milk, but I think the plan for now is to wait another year and re-test and go from there. Which is fine with me. We wrote up her IHP for school and got a new script for Epi pens...got the paperwork done, which is what it was really all about. One step closer to starting school, yay!

SHe is loving her little daycare right now and is making new friends. And she gets to eat lunch there with a buddy which is great - don't know if her little lunch friend is going to school or not but it's nice she can join the others for now.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Grrr... I think WebMD ate my post. Hopefully I won't double post now.

Thanks for asking about the trip. We had a good time. The Kid's Club area was really good. They were all trained on how to use EpiPens, had a close spot to store medications, and were nut-free. The girls had a great time there. Plus, it was nice for DH and I to have some kid free time. After all, it was our 10th anniversary!

Can you believe school is about to start? How are you handling thinking about Kindergarten? It's great that daycare is going well. It sounds like it has been a good transition for both of you.

Is Lily excited to start K? Emily is getting excited about 1st grade. I'm not ready for her to be gone all day, though. Boo hoo!!!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Yeah, Lily will be in full-day K and I"m freaking out about her being gone for such a long period. I think I am doing everything humanly possible to get her set and safe- so once I get her through the doors I think I'll finally feel like it's done.

I went and registered her the other day with a pile of paperwork - reg forms, IEP for her speech delay, and health plan paperwork. It took me almost two hours since I spent about 45 minutes chatting with the asst principal and arranging meetings for the Friday before school starts - we'll try to do the IEP meeting and the health plan meeting at the same time. I had to get more forms I missed and fill them out and go back, too. On the second pass there was a guy in line in front of me registering two boys as new students. THey reviewed the ppwk, checked a few things off and said "have a good school year!" and he was done. I watched him walk out and thought, wow, I wonder what that's like? Hand in a form and put them on the bus? Amazing. Felt a little sorry for myself, actually, but....what can ya do?

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.