Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lunch at School
mrswhitecastle posted:
Emily has eaten lunch at school a few times in Kindergarten. They had special days about once a month for the half-day Kindergarten class. They always served pizza from a local pizza place, so I didn't worry about nuts very much.

This year, though, she will be eating lunch at school every day. I'm nervous!!!! I'm trying to decide if she should have to eat at the nut-free table this year. I was with her a couple of times last year, and there was no one at the table. I don't want her to have to eat alone.

I don't think she would have to sit at the nut-free table. She is very good about not sharing foods, doesn't seem to react by being near nuts, and I don't think it's very likely that nuts would be eaten by a 1st grader, anyway.

I wonder if there is any way to find out if there are other kids with nut or peanut allergies. If there were any others, I would be happy to provide a peanut free lunch so Emily could be a lunch buddy and sit at the nut-free table. I just don't want her to be the only one.

Do you ever worry about how your decisions may affect food allergic children in the future? I know that different parents have different comfort levels. I don't want to make it more difficult for some parent later by not having Emily sit at the allergy-free table. Does that make any sense?

So, what are you going to do about the allergy-free table at school?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts)  Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
Obviously I am obsessing over it. I think if you are comfortable with her at the general seating then that's a great way to go - but since you are willing to put her at a nut-free table, you could let the teacher or admin know in case there are folks out there looking for a buddy. You never know who might be sitting there this year, right?

As for other parents - I've been thinking about this all day. To be honest, I don't think about other parents at all. Is that horrible? Like you said, everyone's experience is different. I would hope the schools are taking each family on a case-by-case basis. I do feel like I am the first to go through this with some of the schools I've worked with, so I hope I'm a decent influence in that regard, but otherwise I'm really only interested in doing what is right for DD. Sounds horrible but it's true.

Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
No, not terrible at all! Somtimes I think I need to be more careful about why I make decisions. I need to make the best decision for my DD, and not worry about how it may/may not affect someone else. I think it sounds horrible that I worry about how it affects someone else, instead of just how it affects Emily.

It makes me feel better, though, to know that another parent thinks it's OK for her to sit with everyone else, and not at the allergy table.

We go in the day before school starts, so I'll talk with the teachers about the allergy table. Oh, the school nurse would probably know, too.

Thanks for your input. There may be very few posters on the board, but I'm so glad it's here!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Nothing horrible about being conscientious and thoughtful.

I know I should do some work to get more traffic to this board, I've just been swamped lately. I figure once school starts I might get a little more time to "advertise"... I agree though, it is nice to have it here.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.