Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Deb - 1st day of school
mrswhitecastle posted:
When is Lily's first day of school?

Emily's is Wednesday. I'm to the point now, I just want the first day to be over with. I go in tomorrow to talk with the teacher and school nurse. Emily is so excited, I'm trying to not let her see how nervous/sad I am!

How are you holding up?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts)  Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
Lily's is Monday. I'm doing the meeting thing Friday. I'm excited to see her start but like you and nervous and sad too...so emotional right now. But I don't want Lily to see that so I don't freak her out. I think she will do just fine. But it is a major change, isn't it?

I'm looking into joining mommy groups to keep DS and I out and about during school hours, but the one I joined has all these stupid cutsie meetups like "funny hat playdate" or "pirates and princess playdate". - I don't want to wear costumes and eat chips at someone's house (food of course another issue) - I want to go to the park in normal clothes and wear the boy out! It's so frustrating. Maybe I'll try Gymboree or something.

Hang in there! I can't believe it's come up so fast! DO you know the teacher? Will he/she be a good match do you think?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
The meetings went pretty well. I talked with the nurse and the cafeteria lady. The nurse said there were 4 children in 1st grade with food allergies! One of them is a little girl that is in Emily's class this year, and she is allergic to peanuts. I told the nurse that Emily doesn't have to sit at the allergy table, but is willing to if someone needs a buddy. She will get back to me. I really like the school nurse. She is so nice, and just seems on top of everything. The cafeteria lady was really nice, too.

The teacher doesn't quite get the whole allergy thing, though. There was a note for all the parents saying that 2 children in the class had peanut allergies. When I explained that Emily isn't allergic to peanuts, but tree nuts, I don't think she really undrerstood the difference. But, the good thing is that there is not really any food in the classroom. Sometimes they may have snacks, but they eat them outside, and they each bring their own. No birthday treats are allowed.

All in all, a pretty good start to the school year. I go back to the school today, too. They have a 'bring your parent to school day', and they split us all into groups and let us rotate around the school. It's really nice for us newbies.

I hope your meetings all go well on Friday. Please keep us updated on how they go.

As for the playdates, I wouldn't like the costume thing, either. I also wouldn't really want all those people over at my house. I'd try the Gymboree thing. Maybe you would meet someone else there who would like to do a park playdate.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
So how did her first day go? How did YOU do ?

Do you think it would help if you printed out some stuff from FAAN and gave it to the teacher? I do that kind of thing every time I encounter a new teacher - that way they learn that milk is more than just white liquid, kwim? I'm glad the nurse has a clue, and that the meetings went well. Lily is currently barfing due to the flu, on top of pink eye, so she is in great shape. I'm trying to get her healthy before school starts...I think she'll be OK.

Tonite is meet the teacher night, then tomorrow we have our meetings.

Bring your parent day sounds so cool!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
(OK, I really hope this doesn't double post.....)

Poor Lily! That sounds miserable. What an icky way to spend your last few days of Summer vacation. It's too bad she won't be able to go meet her teacher tonight, either. I hope she feels better soon.

The first thing out of Emily's mouth when I picked her up, "This was the best day of my life!" So, I think it went pretty well.

She actually chose to sit at the allergy table yesterday. There were 2 boys there, and she said it was the closest table with an empty seat. I'm curious to see what she does today.

I did surprisingly well, too. I was more excited for her than sad. It's a llloooonnnngggg time that she is gone, though. I must confess, and I do feel a little guilty about it, but it is nice to have time to myself. It's also nice to have that one-on-one time with Elizabeth. It's just so much easier and faster to get things done when there is no fighting!

I can tell that the district has worked on their allergy policy over the Summer. In Elizabeth's preschool class, they had a VERY good letter come home. In the letters from both classes, they printed the link to FAAN, and printed some material I'm pretty sure is directly from FAAN's website.

I think I found the source of the confusion, too. Apparently, the nurse had mistakenly entered into the computer that Emily was allergic to peanuts, not tree nuts. A scary mistake, but it's all taken care of now.

I hope all of your meetings go well at the school! Please let me know how it goes.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

crunk05177 responded:
Sounds like everything is going well!! Glad to hear!

Helpful Tips

Recipe: Vegan fruity oatmeal bars
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar * 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour * 1/4 tsp baking soda * 1/8 tsp salt * 1 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.