Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible Latex Allergy
crunk05177 posted:
I had a simple procedure done last week at the hospital. As I was waking up from the anastesia (however you spell it) I felt my wrist itch and it was a little red....thought it was irritated from the hospital bracelet. Then as I am getting with it more and more, I notice my other wrist is itchy and blotchy. I show the nurse who looks at the IV site which is red and blotchy. The redness wasn't just where the tape was, it was a huge area well past the tape. So the nurse proceeds to check my body....I had hives on my upper chest, my sides, back and a small area on both upper legs. I have also described in the past the weird hives I have gotten on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. When I got up to walk, I realized I had them on both feet worse than ever before.

The anastesiologist took a look and said it would be highly unlikely to be from the meds he gave me so they called my doctor who said the same thing. They watched me for about two hours, I wasn't having difficulty breathing or anything so they told me to go home take benadryl and see an allergist to be tested.

And if my son having peanut and egg allergies wasn't bad enough....

seeit2 responded:
My reply got eaten!

That had to really stink to be coming around from a procedure and find yourself covered in hives! Hopefully an allergist will have some answers - I would not totally discount meds until the allergist does, personally.

I've been thinking of you lately, I hope things are going well...

Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

heather7257 responded:
I agree with Deb. People can be allergic to anything, and highly unlikely doesn't mean impossible. Good luck! Hope you are feeling better!

crunk05177 responded:
Ok I FINALLY made an appt with an allergist for this. I told them what happened and they were like well we can't just test you for everything, we have to know what we are testing you for.....can't they just do a blood test and test for everything?

MrsWhiteCastle replied to crunk05177's response:
I don't think they can. Plus, some allergists like skin tests better than blood tests.

I would think, though, that the allergist would have a good idea on what to test for once you explained what happened.

How long do you have to wait for your appointment?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

crunk05177 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
It is on the 26th....I am going to find the meds they had given me so I can show it to the doctor as well.

Can you believe they were able to see me as a new patient on the 26th but my son, for a follow up has to wait until December 1 (I wanted evening hours)? Why can't they just do the follow up the same time as me? Ugh so annoying! Sorry for the short vent lol!

crunk05177 responded:
I just realized I never updated you guys....

I went to the doctor....told him everything that has happened in order. His response was...

"I don't think your allergic to anything. The hives on your feet probably began from putting stress on your feet with the inserts. (hives started after getting shoe inserts for my arches) The medication for the procedure put more stress on my body which caused more hives."

That was it...no testing...no possibilities....nothing....

Do I take his "diagnosis" of hives caused by stress from shoe inserts as an answer? Do I get a second opinion? I have not worn the inserts in I can't tell you how long but I have these painful hives (or what we think are hives) right now on both feet. It is very painful to walk....that is how bad it is...

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
Yes, I would go see someone else - a GP, a podiatrist, a dermatologist, or another allergist. Anyone else lol! That just sounds like a total blow-off to me, and if you are still in pain from it then you do need to find out WTH is going on, don't you agree?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.