Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reaction to Benadryl
mrswhitecastle posted:
I am curious, how does your DC react to Benadryl? Does it make them hyper, put them to sleep, or have no effect?

For Emily, it usually doesn't have a big effect, maybe it makes her a little tired.

Last weekend, though, I had to give Elizabeth one of those single dose servings. I don't know what happened, but she got like 9 really bad bug bites all at once on her legs. Her calf got hot and swelled really badly. I gave her one of Emily's Benadryl doses. She literally started bouncing off the walls. She was just running in circles, talking nonstop. I had never seen her so hyper before!

A friend of ours, who is a nurse, happened to be around. She was helping me keep an eye on her to make sure we didn't need to take her to Urgent Care. (It was pretty nasty looking.) Anyway, she said that the dye in the Benadryl was probably what was making Elizabeth so hyper.

I was just curious if any of you had ever had a child react like that to Benadryl before. I figure the extra adrenaline wouldn't be a bad thing in the case of a reaction.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts)  Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
It does not seem to effect Lily at all (thank goodness, right!) I have given her Benedryl right before nap, even, due to a reaction, and she has not slept or seemed overly jumpy.

THe stuff knocks ME out cold, though.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.