Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First reaction first day of school
seeit2 posted:
I posted this on the 4-yr board but who knows if it will show up - and I have a little more to say. :)

It took 90 minutes for Lily to end up in the nurse's office with a milk reaction today - first day of school. Just a contact reaction - her eye was swollen shut and her face was full of hives. They followed the health plan and gave her Benedryl and monitored a bit then sent her back to class. The nurse called and sounded apologetic but to be honest, once I found out she was safe, I just laughed and told her "happy first day of school". Apparently they toured the cafeteria this morning and frankly that's all it might take with my girl. So now they know, huh?

I say "just a contact reaction" because at least she is still breathing but the whole thing just makes me crazy. I know I have to trust these people to do what they are supposed to do, and honestly I'm really glad they did, but an hour and a half is a little sooner than I had expected to be dealing with this crap. She hasn't even had lunch yet, the poor baby! I did have a little laugh over it with the nurse because that has got to be some kind of freikin' record. But if this is any indication of how the year is going to go, I'm in trouble.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy,  DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

heather7257 responded:
Oh wow... poor baby to have to go through that on her first day of school! At least the staff did the right thing and maybe they will be more careful now. How stressful this must be for you though. I have a few more years before I have to worry about school with Clara, but I know I will be a nervous wreck! Maybe it will be a little better once things settle down and get into a routine. Hang in there!

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
Yikes! I'm so sorry. How is Lily doing now?

You have a really, really good attitude about it. Probably better than I would have. I'd be a mess sending her back today. It sounds like the school handled it well. But sheesh - 90 minutes?!!

What does Lily think about it? Is she concerned to go back?

I hope the rest of the day went better than the first part. How did lunch go?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
Lunch went fine, as did the rest of the day. She didn't even mention it when she got home. Because she is so sensitive this kind of thing happens fairly often so we are trying to teach her to just take her meds and move on. I think otherwise we would all go completely crazy trying to avoid touching something we can't see - life is way too short for that.

I just felt bad for her, being so soon after the day started and everything. I mean, talk about overwhelming, you know? And she is so scared to talk to people she does not know - to throw her in like that just made me feel really bad. But apparently she just brushed it off and moved on, which is fantastic, so I'm trying to do the same. :( I think she's stronger than I give her credit for.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

MrsWhiteCastle replied to seeit2's response:
Boy, it's hard to navigate the whole allergy/kid thing.

It's good that Lily was able to brush it off so easily. But, at the same time, it's sad that she has experienced it so many times it isn't a big deal to her.

Sometimes I wish I could be like that Freaky Friday movie. I have no idea what it's like for them to live with this everyday. It would be nice to switch places for a little bit to see what it feels like to them.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Recipe: Vegan fruity oatmeal bars
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar * 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour * 1/4 tsp baking soda * 1/8 tsp salt * 1 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.