Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
vegetarian and trying wheat-free
Anon_28841 posted:
I'm struggling with terrible chronic headaches, plus all kinds of inflammation and infection in my sinuses, ears, and jaw. before having surgery a second time, or committing to allergy shots, my doc suggested i try an elimination diet to rule out a wheat allergy. I am vegetarian and could use some help in how to do this--I don't have a lot of time to cook but I do eat breakfast at home every day, pack my lunch, and live in NYC so when I don't cook dinner, there are options for ordering something suitable. Can anyone help me with tips on what to watch out for, recipes, etc? Thanks!

seeit2 responded:
Personally, I would just get tested. And get a test for celiac disease while you are at it. Both are simple blood tests or you can do a skin prick for the allergy. I would go to an allergist and really try to nail it down that way - an elimination diet is not impossible but with wheat it is a real bear to undertake if you don't have to. And if it turns out to be celiac instead of a wheat allergy then that is a whole other diet - and eliminating wheat only will not help if it is celiac.

If you do want to do the diet then try FAAN's website for tips on what to avoid (www.foodallergy.org) - they have a great tip sheet. There are also links on this site to resources like allerdine dot com for help avoiding wheat and other allergens at restaurants.

GL!

Deb
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.