Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just a Vent
mrswhitecastle posted:
I HATE ALLERGIES!

Hopefully just typing this out will make me feel better.

I can't take this cough/sneeze thing that Emily is doing again. She had a bad fit yesterday at ballet. She's been doing it since she got home from school today. I didn't want to give her any Benadryl since her allergy appt is Tuesday. The doc said no meds 5 days prior. I broke down and finally gave her some. I'm still not within the 5 days. She should be OK, right? And, what am I going to do tomorrow?

I just hate not being able to help her. I know she's doing it at school. As much as it gets on my nerves, it has to drive her crazy. And her teacher crazy, too. I tried making her stop. Not yelling at her, but kinda yelling at her every time she coughed. Now, what kind of mother yells at their child for coughing???? It's just that it helps a bit, and I don't know what else to do. Hopefully the Benadryl will kick in soon.

Guess there won't be any outdoor play today. It's too bad, the weather is (finally) so nice here.

Anyway, sorry for the vent. It didn't even help me feel that much better. Don't you sometimes wish you could throw a temper tantrum or something to make you feel better??? Maybe I need to take up kickboxing......
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 responded:
Who says you can't throw a temper tantrum?

I agree with you that not being able to help stinks, but speaking as someone who has HORRIBLE allergies herself - it's not really as bad as it sounds. I think the meds make it worse in some ways because they make you drowsy or zoned out - not fun either.

A little hot water with honey mixed in will do wonders for the throat and not turn you into a zombie. Have you tried something like that? Some days I live on the stuff. And saline spray for the nose at least keeps everything moving so you don't get infections. As for her teacher, tell her to suck it up - coughing happens, right? Can she keep a thermos of water at her desk to sip on if it gets too bad?

GL at the appt - I assume you are testing for environmental stuff too, right? Maybe she can do the daily Zyrtec thing or something until a good frost hits and kills everything?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.