Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Upcoming Holidays - vent
seeit2 posted:
OK, I'm just going to come right out and say it - I hate this time of year. The holidays begin with Halloween and end with Easter, (at least in my head lol) and IMO the aggravation of negotiating all the food and celebrating is WAY more hassle than it is really worth. I just sent a note to DD's teacher to find out what the plan is for Halloween and if there is any way we can keep Lily safe in school for whatever way they think they have to celebrate ...what a PIA. And heaven forbid we don't celebrate something or we suggest there is no food...can't wait to see how things are handled at this school. But I have to get my fingers in on it early so I can try to have some input in to what happens so my girl can be included...so NOT me, but ya do what you have to do, right?

It's not just me, is it? Bah Humbug, man. Bah Bah Bah.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
I am having anxiety to be honest. We were invited to my brother in laws for thanksgiving about 4 hours away from us. (My first time being away from my own family on the holiday) I already went over the menu with him and asked him to save packages, etc.

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
Yep, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

At Emily's school, there is only a Fall and Spring party, so just the 2 to worry about. (No holidays are allowed.) Not too bad. Last year, it was focused mainly on the games and activities. In fact, the treat was a pre-packaged rice crispy treat, and they were given out more as an after thought. The juice boxes were drunk because the kids were thirsty, but I didn't see many kids eating. It was so nice.

We'll see what happens this year. Hopefully it will go as smoothly....

The school is trying to get some National accreditation for healthy eating. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know they qualified for part of it already. Anyway, to get the accreditation, they have really cut back on food in the classroom. It has been SSSOOOO nice.

Now, for Elizabeth's preschool, it's entirely different. I don't know what is up with these parents, but she gets cupcakes or cookies almost every day for a snack. They are bakery items, too, even though they aren't supposed to be. She told me that there is a boy with an allergy, and he brings popcorn every day for his snack. Why can't parents get it?

Sorry, I just realized that I turned this into my vent. Oops!

Lily is doing so well this year. It shows that you are doing a great job!
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

deluxehd replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
I applaud all of you with children and food issues. It is a tremendous amount of work and worry. I know what I do for myself. I also dislike the food association with holidays and gatherings. Prior to my new treatments my system was so sensitive that I couldn't even be around certain foods (smell, aroma) without having a problem. And then people don't think that I could have an issue that way, ugh!

I wish all of luck and success with the upcoming holidays.

Debbie
Adult with food allergies and asthma.

Helpful Tips

Recipe: Vegan fruity oatmeal bars
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar * 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour * 1/4 tsp baking soda * 1/8 tsp salt * 1 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.