Skip to content
A lesson in being cool-headed (it's long, of course)
seeit2 posted:
I picked DS up from drop-in care this morning at 11:00 and the kids were sitting down to a special birthday lunch so I hung out to let him finish. He was munching on a plate of chicken nuggets and fries form McDonald's. This is usually what we get him when we go to McD's, so I didn't worry too much about it (though I worried that they had not worried about it). THen the teacher handed out mini cupcakes, which I politely declined because I had no idea what was in them.

He has a peanut allergy and only goes to this place on Friday mornings, so I internally freaked out about whether the teacher really understood or remembered his allergy. But the birthday girl's parents were there so I kept quiet and sat with DS while he finished eating. After the parents left I picked up the package for the cupcakes (store-bought) and saw a picture of a peanut with a big red "no" mark across it. The teacher then turned to me and said "yup, those are safe for your boy - we make sure everything that comes in this room is". I started breathing again and thanked her - and internally thanked myself for not standing up and saying anything obnoxious before I checked it out. I almost did, but I did not want to make a scene. It was so nice to be pleasantly surprised by someone who actually seemed on the ball about allergies...especially since he is only there for a few hours a week.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
That's great!

I was wondering how he was doing. Does he go back to the allergist any time soon?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
He probably should, but I don't have any plans to yet. We could do a food challenge but he can't even talk, so he's still too young IMO. If he had more words or a better way of communicating how he feels then I would be more open to it, but - for now, we are laying low and avoiding.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.