Skip to content
school's not offering gluten free choices
sarahogan posted:
The small Charter school that my DS attends was just able to start offering school lunches through an outside vendor. However, I was told that gluten free lunches would not be available at this time. Don't I have the right as a parent to demand that gluten free choices be available for my son? I won't at this time because I really don't want to burn any bridges in the hopes that I could be employed there again. (I was laid off last year due to budget cuts and if a position opens up, they have to offer it to me first).

Thanks

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
What will your son eat when the school lunches start? Will he be able to bring in food from home?

If he can't bring in food, then, yes I think you can "demand" (I'm sure you would do it nicely) they have gluten free lunches.

However, if you are able to pack a lunch for him, I don't think there is much you can do. Unfortunately. You can ask, but I don't think that schools are required to provide allergy-free foods. I know they aren't required to where we live, at least.

Can you look at the menu and see if they do have some things he can eat, at least some of the time?
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

sarahogan replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
That's kind of what I thought. A former coworker of mine (who works at this school) who also has celiac was convinced that it was discrimination and should be able to demand it. Oh well... there are a few things he can eat that are on the menu, so I will have to continue to pack his lunches most of the time.

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.