Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Article - broader view of allergy testing
seeit2 posted:
I am not a fan of the Huff Post, but I know Dr Wood is one of the leading researchers in the field of food allergy and most often the voice of reason. In a recent article he encourages doctors to go beyond skin and blood testing for allergens and do a controlled challenge. What do you think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/26/allergy-testing-kids-allergic-reaction_n_1167743.html
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
I agree. I wish that there were more black and white answers when it comes to food allergies. It can be so confusing!

A controlled challenge would be scary, but I would do it for a food that I had not seen a reaction. I probably would not have done it when Emily was younger, but by now I think I would be willing to try it.

I also like the point the article makes that pedis and general practitioners should consult allergists. It just adds to the confusion when they try and make a diagnosis when they really shouldn't.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

sarahogan responded:
I agree with this article because my cousin's son tested positive for a corn allergy and celiac, so they took him off corn and gluten products for six months. Then they went back in for follow up testing and he came back negative for corn and celiac, so the parents, assuming it was safe for him to eat those products, let him eat them again. He got very, very sick. After another 6 months, they took him back and he again tested positive for corn and celiac, so they took him off again. The doctor they went to said that if he doesn't test positive, he didn't have the allergy anymore and he must have tested positive for celiac because someone in the family must have and it showed up as a genetic marker and didn't really have it. The doctor was completely baffled as to why he tested positive after 6 months of eating those products again. He's supposed to go for another follow up in 6 months and I can almost guarantee he will test negative for both since he will have been off both for 6 months.
If a control test of some sort had been done, this poor kid wouldn't have to be going through the awful agony of on again off again foods that are dangerous for him.

seeit2 replied to sarahogan's response:
I agree. Poor kid!

My DS tested positive for peanut allergy so we don't feed him peanuts - but I've never seen him react. It's really weird, considering Lily can't even touch milk without reacting, to have to avoid a food without any confirmation that there is a true allergy. But he has a severe speech delay and he's only 2 - so he can't say "my tongue itches" or tell us any little thing about how he's feeling - so a food challenge is just not in the cards right now. My allergist won't even consider it, which I appreciate.

If we had done a food challenge when DD was little, I know the milk would have been a no-go but I really doubt she would have had to avoid egg the way she did...but that was not the advice given 5 years ago. Too bad the testing is so hard to trust.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.