Skip to content
frustrated
sarahogan posted:
So it's been confirmed that not only does my hubby have celiac, but he also has allergy issues with corn starch. Why the starch and not other corn products, I have no idea. Anything with corn starch in it causes him to have serious bowel issues the next day. The frustrating thing is, is that most gluten free things have corn starch in them. Ugh....

seeit2 responded:
oh man, that has got to be a real challenge for both of you. I seem to remember that you do not have a lot of time to cook, but I know (when you do cook) that you can substitute potato starch for corn starch. Hopefully that does not bother him. Otherwise you guys really have your work cut out for you, don't you? Does he just live on oatmeal, rice and produce?

There are some great websites out there for GF living - have you checked any of those out?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

sarahogan responded:
You are remembering correctly, we don't have much time to cook in our family and rely mostly on pre-made foods. I've done more research since writing my initial post and am finding a lot of foods without cornstarch. Just means I'm going to have to start reading labels even more closely before. Just the container saying gluten free isn't good enough anymore. Oh well, it's definitely worth it in the end to have a healthy and happy family.

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.