Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Substitute teacher ignored DD's complaint
seeit2 posted:
Lily told a sub yesterday that her tongue felt itchy. The sub said "oh, well - let's see how it feels after lunch" and blew her off. Can you believe that???

I sent an email to her teacher telling her what happened and emphasizing that I expected Lily to be sent to the nurse the minute she made any such complaint, and I expected the subs to be well-informed about the situation ahead of time. Her teacher wrote back and was horrified, said she would make sure that sub was never put in her room again, and she would talk to Lily to reassure her that she did the right thing. I know her regular teacher never would have reacted that way but this is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night...
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
WOW.

That makes me sick to my stomach, so I can only imagine how it made you feel!

I'm glad that the regular teacher is taking steps to help the situation. But, man oh man, that is sure scary.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (4)

heather7257 responded:
So scary! It seems like no matter what you do to make sure there safe something can always get past. I am glad that she is ok!

crunk05177 responded:
I haven't been able to post in over a week. This is a really scary situation. Is it wrong to teach her to just walk out of the room and go to the nurse herself if it were to happen again? What if it was a real emergency?

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
I think you are absolutely right - she should just go to the nurse anyway. Unfortunately Lily is such a "good" kid that she would never consider disobeying like that - but I think it's worth talking to her about. Honestly, I'm kinda amazed she even brought it up with a sub she has never even seen before - I was impressed she spoke up at all, which is why I'm even more pissed that she got blown off about it.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
The only problem I see with her going to the nurse is that she would be alone. What happens if she passes out in the hallway or something? Depending on where she is in the school, it may be a little bit before someone would see her. I guess that's a risk, though, even if the teacher sends her.

I know some schools have a rule that a buddy has to go with someone to the nurse's office. I'm pretty sure our school doesn't do that. Does yours?

I'm still disgusted that the sub blew her off like that. I don't know about you, but for us, an itchy mouth is one of the signs to Epi right away.
Emily (6 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
That is true about her passing out in the hallway (god forbid). In DS1's class they get to "choose a friend" to go with them to the nurse. Since this topic came up, I think you should call and make sure she would have a buddy accompany her just in case.

And maybe designate a friend in the class and have a plan. If a sub ever says no again, her and the friend can go on their own? I don't know, sorry if I am thinking way too into this.

DS2, the one with the allergies is still too young to tell us anything. I was told by the allergist I would know if I had to use the epi pen. If he wasn't breathing and/or gasping for air (scares me to death).

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
When Emily was 3, she described it as her mouth felt hot. Just something you might want to look out for, in case something did happen.

I can't remember how old your younger son is -- around 2ish? So scary when they can't really communicate well yet.

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Nathan is only 2...28 months to be exacty lol...he is talking A LOT now but I don't think he'd be able to tell me...maybe I am wrong. Hopefully I never have to find out.

Thank you for the description...def something I will keep in mind.

Have you ever had to administer the epi pen?

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
We have never given the Epi. Her first (and only) reaction was anaphylactic, but we didn't have an Epi yet. We had no idea what was going on, or what was wrong. From what we saw, there would be no doubt about administering the Epi.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.