Skip to content
milk allergy
crunk05177 posted:
My good friend, at 29 years old, has developed a milk allergy. She was getting "random" hives and wound up narrowing it down to dairy products. The reactions haven't been anything Benadryl couldn't fix as long as she stayed away from yogurt. For about two years she has been complaining that she's been extremely tired....doctors drew blood, checked B12, put her on vitamins, put her on antidepressants, a whole bunch of crazy stuff. So it popped into her head that it could be from the allergy. She decided to do a test and cut dairy out completely. It's been about a week and a half and she is feeling great. She had a reaction to something last night though that was made dairy free. Now, I know with the egg allergy, eggs can be listed under crazy names on labels. So I wanted to come here and pass on to her, the names that milk can have on labels. As of now, anything that says milk or dairy on it she is cutting out but I am sure it can be listed under other names as well.

seeit2 responded:
I would have her go to FAAN's website - they have a really comprehensive list. THe most common names for milk protein (that don't use the word milk) on labels are "whey" and "casein". She should watch for butter, buttermilk, cream, dry milk solids, certain caseinates, and labels listing "lactic acid starter culture" unless that one specifically says "not from milk" afterward. But definitely have her go to FAAN - their list is like 3 pages long. I usually print it for teachers to scare them out of trying to read a label for DD.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
Perfect! Thank you so much!! That will definitely be a huge help! I knew you'd be the person to speak to with all of your experience I am going to pass the info on to her now.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.