Skip to content
apple allergy?
Anon_28841 posted:
About a year ago, I got an itchy throat from eating a Red Delicious apple, even though I'd eaten them my entire life. It happened a few more times so I stopped eating them. All other apples have been fine (and I've eaten an apple a day for the past twenty years). But today, I ate a Pink Lady, which I've eaten regularly. At first I thought I choked on it, but I got a major itchy throat and still feel like coughing, and my chest is wheezy. Is it possible to be allergic to only 2 types of apples? I ate a Braeburn yesterday and a Granny Smith the day before and was fine. Any way to check for other apples I may react to? I know an itchy throat/cough/wheeze can be serious but I am confused why I seem to have random apple allergies.

seeit2 responded:
That is confusing. You might want to visit an allergist - could it be an environmental pollen that is collecting on some apples, or pesticides, or the apples themselves? An allergist could help you narrow it down. Wheezing is not fun. GL
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

sarahogan responded:
It's possible you're allergic to the type of pesticide and wax used on the apple. Even if your rinse your apples before eating them, the waxy residue stays on and the pesticides are trapped inside. Red Delicious apples seem to have the most wax on them. They put the wax on them to keep them shiny looking in the stores, and I do know a child who at first seemed to be allergic to only certain types of apples and other fruits, but it turns out he's allergic to the pesticides and the wax that they use on only certain types of apples.
Good Luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.