Skip to content
"Look Mommy, I eat eggs now!"
crunk05177 posted:
I always had a lock on my fridge door since my little one would always steal cheese and yogurt drinks. It broke months ago but he didn't know until about 2 weeks ago. Saturday night I am sitting in my livingroom and Nathan ran into the kitchen. I thought he was just drinking his milk on the table. Moments later, he comes into the livingroom and says, "Look Mommy, I eat eggs now!" He had an egg shell in his hands and yolk dripping down his arms. I jumped up and dragged him into the bathroom and pumped soap up and down his arms. Next thing I know, I see hives on his face and his arms and he is scratching his chest. He told me he bit the egg (not sure if I should be more worried about salmonella or the allergy lol) I freaked out and called the allergist. He explained that most likely he didn't ingest much, if any, because raw egg can't possibly taste too good. But being that it was raw egg and the most allergenic, to watch for vomiting, wheezing or coughing. He said if I was close to a hospital I could bring him there so they could administer the epipen if needed and if not, to do it myself if I see these signs. I obv gave benadryl and his breathing thankfully remained normal. We have never gotten a scare like that and have never been so close to needing the epipen. It is so scary and goes to show, how a split second can change a life. Thanks for letting me vent.

mrswhitecastle responded:
Yikes! How scary!!!! They sure do like to keep us on our toes, don't they?!

That would be hard with one so little explaining eggs he can eat, and eggs he can't.

I'm so glad things turned out OK.
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
That is scary and frustrating - I'm glad he's ok the little stinker. Leave it to a kid to assume he can just break into a raw egg now that he is "clear" of the allergy - you must have been so freaked out!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.