I always had a lock on my fridge door since my little one would always steal cheese and yogurt drinks. It broke months ago but he didn't know until about 2 weeks ago. Saturday night I am sitting in my livingroom and Nathan ran into the kitchen. I thought he was just drinking his milk on the table. Moments later, he comes into the livingroom and says, "Look Mommy, I eat eggs now!" He had an egg shell in his hands and yolk dripping down his arms. I jumped up and dragged him into the bathroom and pumped soap up and down his arms. Next thing I know, I see hives on his face and his arms and he is scratching his chest. He told me he bit the egg (not sure if I should be more worried about salmonella or the allergy lol) I freaked out and called the allergist. He explained that most likely he didn't ingest much, if any, because raw egg can't possibly taste too good. But being that it was raw egg and the most allergenic, to watch for vomiting, wheezing or coughing. He said if I was close to a hospital I could bring him there so they could administer the epipen if needed and if not, to do it myself if I see these signs. I obv gave benadryl and his breathing thankfully remained normal. We have never gotten a scare like that and have never been so close to needing the epipen. It is so scary and goes to show, how a split second can change a life. Thanks for letting me vent.
That is scary and frustrating - I'm glad he's ok the little stinker. Leave it to a kid to assume he can just break into a raw egg now that he is "clear" of the allergy - you must have been so freaked out!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.