Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Medic Alert Bracelet
mrswhitecastle posted:
Emily doesn't want to wear her sportsband anymore. She used to be so proud of it. She says she doesn't like how it feels when it gets wet, which happens a lot. I guess maybe we will buy a metal one. At least they are on sale 2 for $15.

I feel like I'm always buying her new bracelets!
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
That's funny, we were just talking about getting DD a new silver bracelet to replace the sports band. I can see how it would be gross when it gets wet - and hers has a bad smell that we just can't seem to get rid of lol. So we were going to take advantage of the sale and get her something a little more girly.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
I am bad! I never got Nathan one and I really should have....now that he is with a babysitter 3 days a week rather than a parent or grandparent. What website do you guys get it from?

crunk05177 replied to crunk05177's response:
I just googled them and found a really cute Cars bracelet on Laurenshope.com. It is waterproof/plastic and adjustable. Do you think that is a good one?

mrswhitecastle replied to crunk05177's response:
I'm pretty sure Deb and I use the same website. I think I got one after she recommended it.

medicalert.org

It's not just a bracelet. They store medical info, doctors' names, and contact numbers. They have a kid's program, and some pretty good deals. I'm happy with them.

Deb, are you going to go with one of the fancy beaded ones? Emily doesn't know they have them, or else she would wear nothing else!

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I don't know - we've talked about it between DH and I but that's as far as it's gone. I better get on it though, huh? Don't know how long the sale lasts...
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

I showed DD the sale catalog and she chose one that I don't think was even on sale lol - it's just a silver chain with a heart shape for the engraved part. I told her she could choose between two with colored lettering or the one that is the same price but a heart shape and she went for the heart.

Crunk - medicalert keeps the emergency info in their system so if you are not around the responders can call and find out what the situation is and who the contacts are. Since DD is also severely allergic to penicillin I personally feel better knowing there is a live person they can contact for info if I'm not around. But I never bothered with it until she was in preK and spent time without me hovering over her.

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
I showed Emily the flyer we got in the mail. I thought it was safe since it didn't have any of the crystal ones on it. Well, Emily picked out the sterling silver heart one that was $70. I guess she's got some good taste!

We went with the set of pink and purple.

Our heart one (not the $70 one lol) came in the mail and they changed the inscription because of space - her oval sports band says "anaphylaxis to milk" and the heart one says "NO MILK" . I don't like that. I called and said I didn't like it and they said I was supposed to verify the inscription and it's my own fault (which I can see now it is) so we have to decide to either live with it or order a new one. I think I'll splurge and spend 10 bucks for the new one.

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
I wouldn't "live with it" because there is a huge difference between being allergic to milk and being severely allergic to milk. Duhhh...I know you know this lol. But honestly....call back and complain again. If you get the right person and complain enough, you will get it. I have learned that sometimes you need to be "that person" to get what you want. I don't like being like that but sometimes you should be.

seeit2 replied to crunk05177's response:
I feel like I am always "that person". But you are right, so I called back and told them I thought I at least deserved a call or email about the change, turns out that is the policy and it did not happen so they apologized, fixed it and are sending me a new one for free. Hot pink. She's going to love it.

I'm glad you guys are here!

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
Woohoo! See! Sometimes it pays off!! I am glad you got it worked out!

I'm glad you got it worked out for free! I would have replaced the bracelet, too. But, I apparently just like buying bracelets all the time!!!!!

Has Lily seen the new bracelet? Does she like it?

Emily likes her metal one SSSOOO much better than the sportsband. Plus, she is able to put it on by herself. She had trouble with the sportsband.

OMG we have the HARDEST time with the new clasp! It is like a V-shape with extra legs pointing in, so the link hooks around the inner edge of the V and then on to the outer arm and then they squeeze together...super secure but my fingers cannot manage the thing and my eyeballs have a heck of a time seeing it. Is yours the same way? Am I doing something wrong? The thing is crazy!

I found it impossible, too. The first time I put it on her, I think I broke 3 nails trying to get the dang thing off.

Emily has some sort of system, though, and does it easily. She doesn't push the things completely together, though. She just leaves it hooked through with the V open a bit. It still seems pretty secure.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.