Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Haylen's post on 4/5
mrswhitecastle posted:
Anyone else cringing about it? I'm scared of what it could turn into.
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

mrswhitecastle responded:
Actually, though, it does bring up a question. How do you feel about everyone knowing it's your child that has the allergies? How does your child feel about that?

As Emily gets older, I start to worry about this. In our school, the child's name is not disclosed in the letter sent home to parents. Emily is very vocal about her allergy, and proud to show everyone her new bracelet. As she gets older, though, I worry about her standing out as different. With bullies, too, it is scary to know that everyone in the class knows a very simple way to harm her.

What are your thoughts?
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
It was interesting, during that committee meeting I went to the principal at LIly's school said their biggest problem was the parents who did not want anyone (including their child's teacher!) knowing about their food allergy. (And HIPPA laws say they cant tell the teacher if parents don't allow it - only that "A child in this room has a peanut allergy") They actually had a harder time with parents who seemed to be in denial and would not respond to anything versus someone like me who has her nose in everything.

I personally like the happy medium - with DD, no letter went out, but the class did get a lecture about not sharing food and washing up after they eat etc. She was not singled out but the issue was addressed. I think in the end, whatever each parent is comfortable with has got to be best. I would hate to see a letter go out about Lily but at the same time I'm all for education, so...I don't know.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
I haven't had to think that far ahead about everyone knowing that Nathan has the allergy. Right now, at almost 3, I let everyone know wherever we go...I don't care hahaha. But when he is older that may change. I just haven't thought that far yet.

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.