Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Meeting update - long but good
seeit2 posted:
OK, we got everyone but the principal together and went over everything. THis teacher is young but she's been teaching first grade for 5 years so at least she's not a newbie. SHe basically said if she had even the slightest concern she would send DD to the nurse, which is what last year's teacher did and it was great. DD does not lie or manipulate to get out of things and it kept everyone on top of it so I'm good with that. The new nurse seems more interested in keeping her paperwork in order than anything else but (i bet!) that will change.

They may be having snack in the classroom every day (it's a low-income neighborhood, a lot of kids don't really eat outside of school on a regular basis I don't think) so we agreed that if she decided the kids needed snack, she and I would provide only safe things and the kids would get some of that. So I"m not feeding the whole class alone- she is helping. I am OK with this on many levels.

I'm still nervous but as you all know, we can only prepare so much and then we have to just turn them over. LIly drew a picture for nurse Heidi that said "I love you this much" and drew a heart that filled the entire page - it was adorable. And nurse Heidi gave Lily a little bear figurine dressed as a nurse. We are really gonna miss her.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Awwww... How sweet that they gave each other gifts. You had a really great nurse!

It sounds like you have everything ready and in place. And you are right -- there is only so much we can do. Is Lily's first day today? Let us know how it goes.

On another note, we found out Friday was our nurse's last day. She is transferring to a different school in the district. I don't know why that couldn't have been done 2 weeks ago, before school started. Also would have been nice for her to mention on Monday or Tuesday last week when I talked to her.....

Hopefully both of our new school nurses turn out to be great!
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
It's crazy isn't it? They gave our nurse three days before the new semester started and she was beside herself - it would suck to think you were going to be in one building for the next 10 months and then ind out that was changing on a dime.

The first day went fine, no reactions at all which is already a step ahead of last year. DD is sitting at a regular cafeteria table with two empty chairs around her and the rest of the table full, which sounds kind of sad to me but she did not mind. We are going to see how it goes for a week or two and then broach the subject of just letting her sit alongside her peers - we can't really decide if we want to do that or not so we'll give her some time and let her (and the teacher) help us decide.

Let us know if/when you meet your nurse, I know most people are not so attached to theirs as my family was lol.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Helpful Tips

Chewy Flourless chocolate cookies Gluten Free
from a supplement in my local paper these cookies are gluten-free 1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup Dutch processed Cocoa 2 t cornstarch ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.