Skip to content
Feeling Down
mrswhitecastle posted:
Hey guys. I'm just kind of down tonight. I've been following a discussion on another site on food allergies. It's just so discouraging to read what the general population thinks about allergies, and the people who have them.

Are people really that mean? I've personally come across the cupcake queens who think it's more important to show off how much money they can spend on a bakery snack, rather than the safe Hostess cupcake. But, is that really how the majority of people think? From reading this other thread, it seems that people in general are really irritated by allergy restrictions.

Maybe I just need to stay off general sites for awhile.....
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
People really are that mean. Unfortunately I think that's a lesson DD is learning already too.

I try not to read those threads, personally. I think the posts are either ignorant or purposefully mean to start a fight or make people feel bad. Either way, let them say what they will - we know the real deal. {{HUGS}} though babe - I know how you feel. It sucks.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
Well, at least I got to wait until I was 34! I'm sorry your daughter is learning it now. Did something in particular happen?

I'm doing better today. You know how it is when it's night and all those fears tend to keep you worrying. I think the thing that got to me yesterday was the "Darwin" attitude. It's the first time I really understood that people do buy into that attitude, and they apply it to my Emily -- my baby.

Anyway, I'm going to use your phrase as my mantra for awhile. "We are just going to keep on, keeping on."

So glad this board is here.....

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Now I feel bad. I am cynical but it doesn't mean everyone has to be. And I really do believe in the goodness of people - there are just mean people out there too, right?

Lately at school DD has had to put up with other kids claiming they have allergies too - I'm allergic to oranges, I told my mom I can't eat spinach because I'm allergic to it like Lily is allergic to milk, you can't eat those pretzels because I"m allergic to them...that kind of crap. She comes home and tells me these things and when I ask what she thinks she says "I think they are lying. I don't know why though". How the heck do you answer that? Honestly I just say yeah, some people lie. There's really no point to the BS these kids are spewing either so I have no idea what to say about it except that she really only needs to worry about herself and her choices and let them say what they want.

The Darwin stuff is such crap. I hate that attitude but have certainly heard it. As we have seen all over the news, in America (and online everywhere) you are free to not only be totally stupid and ignorant but to broadcast that fact to anyone who will listen.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
I think cynical can be a protection. There are both good and mean people out there. Yesterday, I just let the mean ones get to me. I need to remember that yes, some do it to be mean, but some are just completely uneducated. And that's OK. It doesn't matter what they think, as long as they follow the rules and my kid stays safe.

I'd tell Lily that they are just trying to be like her. They think she is such a great, neat, awesome person, they are doing whatever they can do be more like her. Even if that means they have to lie to do it.

As for the Darwin crap. I never would want to wish allergies on anyone, but statistically, someone HAS to develop them later in life. If only we could choose which ones.....

crunk05177 responded:
It is definitely a hard thing to deal with as you know. I tend to be ok about it and then some days I am not. It is so hard. I have a friend whose son was just diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy. It went from minor, to barely there, to severe in a matter of months (from what she says). So she posted this on FB the other day and the responses from people kind of bothered me. One person who was trying to just be nice says I had a deadly peanut allergy as a kid and even though hershey kisses say they are not ok, they are! Really?? If the label says they are not, they are not! GR...it is so stupid but really freaking bothered me!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Dairy-free, Egg-free sugar cookies
From "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau 1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.