Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hostess Products
mrswhitecastle posted:
I'm so upset about Hostess going out of business. I can do without the Twinkies and Ding Dongs (although Suzy Q's were my favorite), but they also made Wonder bread. Wonder was the only bread I would buy for Emily! Bunny Bread has a warning and Sara Lee makes her break out.

Now I have to find a new brand. Bummer!!!

Oh, and when I bought our last loaf today, the checkout lady commented how she would miss it. I told her I would too, since my daughter had food allergies. She told me to just save the bag and put other bread in it from now on. I said sure, if I wanted her to have a reaction. She told me again to do it and see what happened. If only it were that easy.....Eyeroll...
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
What an idiot.

I am sad too. My kids have never had a twinkie or ding dong but Hostess also made the only bread we can buy - I have been searching high and low for a replacement and can't find one. I may have to bake my own.

You can freeze bread, can we buy out the store lol?
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
I totally thought about buying the last 5 loaves and sticking them in the freezer! Honestly, as I stood in that aisle, I really had to fight back wanting to cry. Over bread -- doesn't that seem pretty silly?!

When baking bread, I just can't master that same soft, sandwich bread texture that you get from store bought. Although, Emily doesn't even care for sandwiches that much. She will only eat a sandwich if it's grilled cheese or PB&J. Otherwise, I just give her the meat and cheese and she's happy. Maybe I will just quit buying sandwich bread.....
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

crunk05177 responded:
People just don't get it....grrr....it annoys me! I honestly haven't bought a hostess product in I can't tell you how long so I won't miss it too much but I can feel your pain. That is so sad....I hope you can find a substitute

seeit2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Can you eat tortillas? They can be high in sodium but when Lily seems bored of turkey sandwiches I offer her a "roll-up" and they seem to work for her. Changes up the lunch box a bit too which is nice. I tried making my own whole wheat tortillas to fix the salt issue - what a disaster. It was a huge brown coaster. I might try again though and mix in white flour to see if that makes it more pliable.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

deluxehd responded:
It is terrible when we lose foods. I can relate to wanting to cry while standing there looking at the shelf. It has happened too many times.

I use Chebe Bread. Two years ago they changed their packaging. So when it arived I was immediately concerned. My brother was here visiting and staying with us. He suggested to my husband to switch the new and old bread and see if I noticed. Really!!!??? Well at least I knew how he truely felt, he didn't believe me and that foods trigger my asthma. He thought I could make myself have an attack - it is all in my head.

Sorry, I got a little off traack. Hoping you find something that works.
Adult with food allergies and asthma.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Deb. I have two young children, one with severe milk allergy, the other with peanut allergy. My DH is gluten-free. Want to come over for di...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.