Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thanksgiving success!
crunk05177 posted:
I always feel so accomplished when we get through a holiday or a party with no allergic reactions!

We went to my brother in law's house for Thanksgiving. They have 5 cats and it was there last year that we discovered DS2 was also allergic to cats when his eyes swelled and became bloodshot. We gave him Claritin about an hour before going to their house and washed his hands somewhat frequently. During dinner he had some redness on his chin after eating a roll but the package said it was safe. It went away on its own probably from the Claritin he already had in his system. Then my soon to be sister in law took the kids outside to play and let them pick berries off the bush. He had a cluster of hives on the back of his hand and on his neck where you could see he smudged a berry on it. I googled it, and apparently the berries are honeysuckles (?) which are toxic...but won't kill a person (accroding to google). I will mention it to the allergist next time we go but again, the hives went away on their own and everything else went off without a hitch! (Did I say that right?)

How were your holidays?!

seeit2 responded:
I love that a few hives qualifies as a successful holiday - you sound like me lol. ALL we did was break out a few times! Woo hooo!

Our Thanksgiving was interesting, I made a gluten-free, vegan apple pie that turned out surprisingly well. I called it the FrankenPie because it was a mix of three different recipes - one for the crust, one for the filling and one for the topping. We kept it really low-key for just the four of us and had a really nice and easy time. And no hives!
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Debbie and I have moderate/severe asthma. I also have allergies including food allergies that trigger my asthma. I am married to the most a...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.