Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PCP dies from severe food allergy
crunk05177 posted:
My mom and grandmother have gone to their primary care physician for as long as I could remember. My mom hands me a letter the other day while crying. The letter is addressed to the patients of this doctor stating that he has died from an accidental exposure to a food he was extremely allergic to.

I have played out many different ways this could have happened. Cross conatmination, forgot epi pen in the car, with a group of friends who didn't know how to use an epi pen, etc. It has me more scared than it did before. Why is god entrusting this little boy's life in my hands?

seeit2 responded:
I have moments like these also, when the responsibility and anxiety seem overwhelming. Our kids are very easy to kill. We can only make sure everyone around us (and our children) is knowledgeable and prepared; or, in the case of this physician, be prepared ourselves. It is astonishing that this happened to an M.D...but a reminder that we need to stay vigilant.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

mrswhitecastle responded:
Oh, that's terrible! Surprising that it happened to a doctor, but a good reminder that it can happen to anyone.

I think dealing with food allergies is a lot like riding a roller coaster with all the ups and downs. You'll feel like everything is going just fine, and then something hits you and you feel completly overwhelmed.
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.