Skip to content
Part Vent, Part Confession
mrswhitecastle posted:
My Mom had a game night over the weekend. I went shopping with her, and she wanted to buy all kinds of treats from the bakery. OK, fine. Well, she wanted to buy Baklava. I had visions of sticky nuts getting all over the games while Emily was playing. I told her I didn't think the Baklava was a good idea. I was then told that I am just an overprotective mother. And, when was I finally going to let Emily eat bakery treats? Ummm, let me think... NEVER?!! I will fully admit I am not a really good cook, but I can bake. I would put my baked goods up against ANY bakery and I win. Every time. Why can't I just bring the treats?

So, here comes the confession part. My mom insisted on buying all of these different bakery things -- cupcakes, cookies, candy, none of which Emily could eat. She bought her a bag of Keebler cookies, which I did verify were safe. I knew that it would be an issue, but my Mom inisisted it wouldn't. Fast forward to party day, and I have a kid in tears because her sister gets to eat all kinds of goodies, and she can't. My mom was shocked. So, part of me was glad the point was made, but most of me felt way, way guilty. I should have just baked something so my kid wasn't in tears. Learned my lesson, and will never try to prove a point that way again.

I don't mean to sound overly dramatic, but I felt really betrayed by my mom. Of all my family and friends, I would think she would get it. She was there when Emily had her anaphylactic shock (she was the one who fed her cashews) and was rushing her to the ER. Does Emily have to have anaphylaxsis again to reinforce the gravity of the situation? My mom thinks that since she has not had any more issues, things must be fine. Um, maybe that's because I am so "overprotective" that she has stayed safe.

Anyway, it feels good to vent to you guys. Thanks for listening to my very, very long post.
Emily (7 - allergic to tree nuts) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
I don't blame you for feeling betrayed. Your mom is welcome to her opinion but we're talking about your child's LIFE here - not possible to be too protective. It is surprising that she acted this way since she experienced the anaphylaxis.

It's hard enough getting people outside the family to understand the allergy thing - having to work so hard with your family really sucks.
Deb (40) DD (4) Funny, spirited, curious, has a severe milk allergy, DS (1) fearless and bottomless, peanut allergy

crunk05177 responded:
I hear you on that one. It is really sad how ignorant people can be. I mean that in a nice way I guess....people just DON'T get it.

The other day we were at my mom's house and Nathan asked for a snack. So my mom started pouring cereal into a ziploc bag for him. When I asked her if she checked the ingredients her response was, "Oh I never thought to even check a cereal." There were almonds in it which are not a life or death allergy with him but we still avoid them just in case. I was so pissed...I told her that anything that goes into his mouth needs to be checked first.

Our kids are very lucky to have us overprotective parents

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kate. I have celiac disease (not an allergy) and DH is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts, fish and cucumbers and melons, along with ...More

Helpful Tips

Egg substitue for baking
You can substitute ground flax meal for egg in any recipe. Just mix one Tablespoon flax with three Tablespoons water for each egg in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.